Labour MP Arrested After Headbutting A Tory During Commons Bar Fight

Another reason to vote Labour, NOT! Their MPs can't handle their drinks! :loopy:

So the next PM should be someone who can handle 12 Top Totty's eat 4 doner kebabs straight after drive home without getting pulled and keep the wife busy all night ?....He would certainly get my vote ;)

Oh I forgot ,,stitch up two tory mp's and a copper before getting into his car

I don't see why it should be damaging for the Labour Party. It wasn't the Labour Party who committed the assault, it was (allegedly) committed by Eric Joyce. It wasn't the Labour Party who elected him to Parliament, it was the voters in his constituency (though no doubt he was sponsored by the Labour Party.)

The Labour Party have suspended him (quite properly, IMO) pending the outcome of the incident.

If he is convicted, then given his position in society, the example which one might expect him to provide and his previous record for alcohol-related offences, perhaps the court may give him an exemplary sentence.

We'll have to wait and see.

I don't see why it should be damaging for the Labour Party. It wasn't the Labour Party who committed the assault, it was (allegedly) committed by Eric Joyce. It wasn't the Labour Party who elected him to Parliament, it was the voters in his constituency (though no doubt he was sponsored by the Labour Party.)

The Labour Party have suspended him (quite properly, IMO) pending the outcome of the incident.

If he is convicted, then given his position in society, the example which one might expect him to provide and his previous record for alcohol-related offences, perhaps the court may give him an exemplary sentence.

We'll have to wait and see.

As Joyce is/was a Labour MP, it will unavoidably reflect badly on Labour I'm afraid.

So the next PM should be someone who can handle 12 Top Totty's eat 4 doner kebabs straight after drive home without getting pulled and keep the wife busy all night ?....He would certainly get my vote ;)

Oh I forgot ,,stitch up two tory mp's and a copper before getting into his car

That would be Alastair Campbell then?

Very heavily subsidised at that!

"...A total of £1.33m was spent in the House of Commons' nine bars in the year to March 2011, records show. As part of the royal Palace of Westminster they are unlicensed.

The Strangers' bar, where the alleged assault was said to have taken place, took takings of £206,100.

Commons authorities spent £275,000 stocking the wine cellars with 44,000 bottles over the past two years. It included £28,000 on 1,838 bottles of champagne and £11,100 on 1,470 bottles of sparkling wine."

"...The public helps foot the bill. The taxpayer subsidy for the Commons catering service, which runs the bars, rose to £5.8m last year, despite a fall in custom and promises to slash the cost of refreshing MPs. It meant that for every £10 an MP spent on food and drink, the taxpayer added a top-up of £7.60."

"...Last year Dr Sarah Wollaston, a GP and MP for Totnes, said some MPs are too drunk to stand up in debates and have “no idea” what they are voting for."

"...Shortly after being elected to Parliament, Tory MP Mark Reckless apologised after being too drunk to vote on George Osborne's first budget."

If the government want to do something about 'Binge-drinking Britain' perhaps they should consider putting their own house in order first.

If the government want to do something about 'Binge-drinking Britain' perhaps they should consider putting their own house in order first.

They could trial their minimum price per unit idea in their own bars.

Let's say £5 per unit.

That should enable more of them to stay sober whilst working.

Failing that, we could use the increased revenue to reduce the deficit. We can't lose really.

I see we are getting even further away from Labour MP arrested for assault. I think you are rather grasping at straws that don't exist.

It seems that is very difficult for some people to come out and condemn this type of violence. Won't the party allow you admit this?

What are you on about? I responded to your post, in which you mention no assault, about the conduct of fellow MPs mocking inappropriately.

As for grasping at straws re: my examples, take a look below:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/01/18/david-cameron-dennis-skinner-dinasour_n_1212783.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/may/01/david-cameron-calm-down-dear

Oh, and for the record, I do condemn violence. I am happy to see that this MP is being dealt with accordingly.

Archived