Labour MP Arrested After Headbutting A Tory During Commons Bar Fight

They could trial their minimum price per unit idea in their own bars.

Let's say £5 per unit.

That should enable more of them to stay sober whilst working.

Failing that, we could use the increased revenue to reduce the deficit. We can't lose really.

But then they'd require an additional subsidy! Instead of bunging them an additional £7.60 for every tenner they spend, they'd probably vote themselves a subsidy of £15.00 for every tenner they spend.

(I wonder how much of the money they spend appears subsequently on expense claims?)

650 MPs (some of whom do not drink and some of whom spend very little time in Parliament.)

In the 2009-2010 session, Parliament sat for 60 days. (A long working year! ;))

Total expenditure: £1.33 million.

So the average amount spent by each MP = £1,330,000 ÷ (60*650) = £34.10 a day.

No wonder they're P****d!

I don't see why it should be damaging for the Labour Party. It wasn't the Labour Party who committed the assault, it was (allegedly) committed by Eric Joyce. It wasn't the Labour Party who elected him to Parliament, it was the voters in his constituency (though no doubt he was sponsored by the Labour Party.)

Weren't the Labour Party the ones who selected him as their shining example to represent them in a particular constituency?

Didn't I say that in the post? "though no doubt he was sponsored by the Labour Party."

They selected him as a candidate, the constituents elected him.

I'm not familiar with his constituency, but if it's anything like many of those in South Yorkshire, (and elsewhere) a pig could be elected if it wore the right coloured rosette.

Quite why they have taxpayer subsidised boozers in what's supposed to be a place of work I have no idea. Any normal job would sack anyone turning up drunk, this lot can stagger back to the chamber and vote on laws while 3 sheets to the wind on booze we're paying for.

And they can smoke fags in their bar while they ban every body else.

Well done Eric Joyce, I'm sure the Tory deserved it. This is how relations should be between Labour and the Conservatives, things are usually far too chummy and cosy.

If you had a massive bundle between the Tories and Labour the Tories would win EVERY time though. Labour would be too busy trying to talk about their rights and work out how the fight could be correctly structured to take into ensure each fightee was not discriminated against and that the equality and diversity of participants was respected whilst the Tories would be pasting them.

Archived