Being called simple

It's usually used as an insult - meaning simple-minded - by people who would like to call you retarded, or a cabbage or something similar, but fear it might get them in trouble.

It can, though, be used in another sense. Some people have "simple" minds in that they take a very direct approach to things, and don't worry about complications. In this sense, simple does not mean stupid; you can look at things in a simple manner but still be quite smart.

If someone tells you are a simple person! What does this mean? And is it a bad thing? Thanks

For me, 'simple' has a lot of positive connotations. I'd take it as a compliment, though I would also be well aware that it's not intended as such.

I often take things as compliments, that I know are not intended as such, from people who are under-developed and lacking in awareness. If someone who you don't consider to be a worthy person, is telling you that you're not a worthy person; well, kinda makes a double negative.

You wouldn't want someone who's a baffoon to see admirable qualities in you (as they only see admirable in qualities in other baffoons).

It can, though, be used in another sense. Some people have "simple" minds in that they take a very direct approach to things, and don't worry about complications. In this sense, simple does not mean stupid; you can look at things in a simple manner but still be quite smart.

Also, in traditions such as Tao and Zen, it is a virtue; and reflects an affinity with nature, and non-contrivance.

As with many things it depends on the context in which it was stated.. without knowing, it could have a positive or a negative implication.

^ This.

Simple could mean carefree, uncomplicated, treats life as it comes. Or it could mean unable to understand anything but the most basic of basics.

It's all about context.

Archived