Buying a suit vs hiring a suit?

Hi,

Just trying to come up with some kind of wedding budget (trying to stay calm). We don't want formal suits with waistcoats, cravats, tails etc, just a nice smart suit. Does anyone have any advice if it would be cheaper to buy or hire one? There's probably 4 or 5 adult ones needed.

Thanks

When looking to hire suits all we could find was the typical wedding ones or something you would wear to a formal dinner. Can you even hire normal suits?

Anyway my other half and his best man got his suits from House of Fraser or Debenhams (can't remember which). It was buy one get one half price at the time.

Thanks. You probably can't hire normal suits actually, dur, didn't think of that. I think I was just panicing that it would be Marks and Spencers suit prices...might be best to keep a look out in the sale. Buy one get one half price sounds something we should keep an eye out for!

I'm pretty sure when I looked, Ashley Rodgers at manor top do a plain grey lounge suit and 'normal' shirt and tie which you can hire. The cost is about £70-80 for the lot, there's a deal of get one free outfit after hiring 5 I think.

You'd struggle to get a decent suit, shirt and tie for under £100 so hiring is probably cheaper although you'd at least have the suit if you bought one.

If your thinking of hiring Formal Affair comes highly recommended, they specialize in suit hire and they have a price promise so they'll beat any other price you'll find

Went in the other week with the other half and we noticed they had an even better offer on at wedding fairs at present so we saved ourselves a further 20% by heading to a local wedding fair a few days later.

Price at the moment on the site is £79 + 7 for accidental damage waver and your 5th suit is free. That is quite reasonable and we got extra off at the wedding fair.

They were very helpful in the shop and you pay a deposit and get measured up / choose co lours a few weeks before the wedding.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't help you with prices as its years ago since I got married but we hired our suits. Not everyone wore suits regularly and I didn't want anything ancient and ill fitting being brought out of mothballs! We hired plain grey suits and waistcoats from a suit hire company and it wasn't expensive.

We had to go to a black tie dinner recently and my husband went to hire a suit. They were selling some stock off so he purchased it for £50 instead of hiring it. It was in good condition. It might be worth visiting the hire shops before making your decision.

for what it's worth - I wouldn't get up to yer tits in debt over the wedding, as someone said, make sure the lads are smart and get matching ties and possibly pocket hankies - if anyone objects cos the suits aren't identical, they're insane.

good luck for your wedding mate and a happy life to you and your intended

Archived