Meditation MEGATHREAD

I don't want to come across as pedantic (I appreciate that you have experience of meditation from reading your post) - Eckhart Tolle was born in Germany, lived in Spain as a child, studied at London University, now a Canadian resident. He is more a spiritual teacher than teacher of meditation, although he does teach extensively about awareness and witnessing, which do/can come from practising meditation...

I'm currently reading his book 'The Power of Now'

He's is well worth Googling for anyone interested in spirituality and 'related' stuff :)

And yes, I meditate.

I must buy the book The Power Of Now, it sounds interesting.

A friend recommended an iTunes app for an iPad, iPhone or iPod it's called " meditation oasis ".

I use it to try and calm my anxiety then in turn lower my highish BP..

It works for me and I find I get a better nights sleep, and I'm not so strung up..

If you don't use this app, I would definitely recommend meditation for stress and anxiety..:)

I dont have an iPad,iPhone or iPod but have relaxation tapes of the ocean waves etc; I may treat myself to an iPod so will remember "meditation oasis".

I must buy the book The Power Of Now, it sounds interesting.

You can find it on Amazon or order it from the WH Smiths etc.

Or you could get the 'Audiobook' of it an CD and listen to it on your laptop of HiFi player Also from Amazon

Benefits of the Audiobook are that you don't have to sit and read - you can go about your daily business at home and just listen as you do stuff - also, the Audiobook is unabridged so you get a lot more 'information' than by reading the paperback.

I'll PM you further :)

Everyone is different janie, but up to now the benefits to me are :

Uncluttering my mind, and stopping all the inner chatter.

Realising that I am trying to do too much, in too little time, for too many people.

Being aware of what other people are thinking.

Speaking my mind.

Thanks for the feedback, Its good that you have felt the benefits allready.

I'm certainly going to give it a try.

The "being aware of what other people are thinking" part of it though, is something i feel i may be better off without.!! As i may not be to pleased with what i discover.

You can find it on Amazon or order it from the WH Smiths etc.

Or you could get the 'Audiobook' of it an CD and listen to it on your laptop of HiFi player Also from Amazon

Benefits of the Audiobook are that you don't have to sit and read - you can go about your daily business at home and just listen as you do stuff - also, the Audiobook is unabridged so you get a lot more 'information' than by reading the paperback.

I'll PM you further :)

I managed to buy The Power of Now at "The Works" bookshop for £2:99 reduced from £8:99 (Paperback edition)

Thanks for the feedback, Its good that you have felt the benefits allready.

I'm certainly going to give it a try.

The "being aware of what other people are thinking" part of it though, is something i feel i may be better off without.!! As i may not be to pleased with what i discover.

When I say I feel aware of what other people are thinking, it is not in a bad way. People seem surprised at my honesty, and usually say " Oh, that was just what I was thinking !!" :)

You might be interested in a local Mindfulness course starting in April at the Friends Meeting House - I can let you have further details

And will there be a charge for this course? I only ask because you have obviously latched on to a thread about meditation with only your second post and are offering a meditation course without even taking into account the posters goals, it seems a little suspect to me.

Would you mind sharing a few details with us on this course so we can publicly appraise it?

(I don't wish to be rude BTW, I'm just looking out for the forum users, I'm sure you appreciate this)

Archived