Meditation MEGATHREAD

Really feeling the benifits now.I've felt much more relaxed this week,and feel more energetic.

The main thing is setting aside 12- 15 mins every day to meditate. Sometimes you dont feel as though you have enough time, but eventually meditation becomes part of your day.:)

The main thing is setting aside 12- 15 mins every day to meditate. Sometimes you dont feel as though you have enough time, but eventually meditation becomes part of your day.:)

This is the first week that i havn't missed a day Pattricia,and today was the best day of the week,and i havn't felt groucy at all this week,so i hope to keep it up.:thumbsup:

Someone mentioned Meditation Oasis somewhere..:) I've used that for a month to start me off, it's very good, I would certainly recommend it for someone starting out...:)

Now I can meditate just by closing my eyes and breathing slowly and deeply...

I made a note of Meditation Oasis, but I think its something you have to download.

I have lots of relaxation CDs, and sometimes use them in conjunction with meditation and other times use meditation on its own in complete silence. All this nonsense about "how do you know that you are meditating" is silly. You know you are because in meditation you are your own boss. You are self employed. Its a crude way of putting it, but the easiest to explain.:)

This is the first week that i havn't missed a day Pattricia,and today was the best day of the week,and i havn't felt groucy at all this week,so i hope to keep it up.:thumbsup:

Please keep letting us know janie how you feel each week. Its very interesting to me.:)

I'm not quibbling and I'm not competing.

pot, kettle and black springs to mind when you mention competing- I'm not the one who declared that several people on this thread aren't 'meditating' when they describe their experiences of meditation.

Was I was doing was pointing out the fact that most people who meditate, make a clear disctinction between the act/techniques of meditation (posture, breathing etc) and, the intended goal of meditation (whether that's seen as enlightenment or just a calmer mind).

Whereas you seem to consider the 2 things to be the same, and, on that basis, make your claim that certain people on this thread don't understand meditation.

I'll also point out that, contrary to what you say above, I am not 'struggling' and that 'religions, beliefs, eras' are not high on my mind.

:)

Thats great dave. Quibling is for people in the pub and does not bring freedom.

Just a few things. I don't consider something, I don't declare things, I don't understand things. If it sounds like it, be certain that is a misunderstanding and needs to seen as.

Things happen, they are the real things, not dreams, fantasy's, hopes, desires. There is no need to consider, that is for people not knowing what they want and cannot see the power of this moment free from scriptures, beliefs, phylosophy's, considering over things.

When awake, aware, and meditation is present it cannot be considered.

If it rains I get wet if I consider or not it does not matter.

Declaration's are giving unequal power, focus on one side, leave the other side ignored. Everything and everybody has equality, if they know their equality with awarenes is another thing, but it is there all the time, available.

You can call a rose a rose and a bird a bird but no declaration is going to seperate them from the trees or each other.

Living live, being alive, there is no need to understand. Understanding is only needed when not understanding is there.

It is not needed to understand or not understand. When awake you see, when asleep you dream. No need to understand it, it is the way it is. Why should I fiddle with it thinking phylosophising over why it is that way and understand it?

Waste of time and energy but everybody is free to understand something, most people are not aware of it they are stuck in it. Going around and around thinking about it, understanding it to make up for deep holes of unawareness.

Meditation is not to be understood. You either know it, no need to understand, you become one with meditation and it is no longer an outside study.

Or you are trying to understand it because you don't know what to look for.

When looking for meditation, understanding could be a hinderance to receive a sound or silence from unknown unexpected corners because we were to busy looking other ways.

Tell me what you think of it dave, everything is fine. I don't think I am right and things always change, there are so many ways to approach meditation with language and scriptures.

I do expres my own experiences rather than follow any prescriptions from the past and dream about it.

Decleration, understanding and consideration are good in the supermarket or at the bank, voting.

In meditation they all disappear. Freely, don't ask me why, they just go by themselves without reason.

Just a few things. I don't consider something, I don't declare things, I don't understand things. If it sounds like it, be certain that is a misunderstanding and needs to seen as.

Well, you've just declared 3 things right there :)

Meditation is not to be understood. You either know it, no need to understand, you become one with meditation and it is no longer an outside study.

Or you are trying to understand it because you don't know what to look for.

When looking for meditation, understanding could be a hinderance to receive a sound or silence from unknown unexpected corners because we were to busy looking other ways.

Nevertheless, I do understand meditation- earlier in this thread I gave a consise summary of it. Meditation, in the sense of the word used by everyone in this thread with the exception of you, is simply adopting a specific bodily position (out of several options) and directing the mind in a specific direction (again, with several options).

There are many online instructions for meditation, describing suitable postures and where to direct the attention etc- several people on this thread have been using those instructions to try meditation out.

Meditation is very simple, easily defined and certainly can be spoken of in rational terms.

Spiritual experiences, in contrast, are very different, and, often, not subject to rational analysis- I'm guessing that by 'meditation' you're referring to those type of things?

Fair enough, use the word 'meditation' however you like, but it just so happens that it's not how everyone else is using it.

Please keep letting us know janie how you feel each week. Its very interesting to me.:)

Yes i will give you an update every so often,but i can't promise any great progress.

I'm happy with the little iv'e acchieved though,and perhaps there is something in me that holds back from an experience of a more deeper level.

Part of the satisfaction for me is acchieving the habit,(the self discipline at just making a regular start of the practice) i found that difficult at first.

I suppose like Dave has mentioned we all want something different,and judging by some other posts each individual's experience is unique to them.

The great thing about this thread Pattricia is that there has been no pressure to do anything other then what feels right for them, but its been interesting to hear other other peoples perspective's.

In the beginning i did do a bit of searching on the internet,but i didn't do any downloading or make any contact if that was an option.

This is one of those,which i thought might be worth pasting to just have a peek at the benifits they mention. So many of the same results you have shared with us.

http://www.ineedmotivation.com/blog/2008/05/100-benefits-of-meditation/

Yes i will give you an update every so often,but i can't promise any great progress.

I'm happy with the little iv'e acchieved though,and perhaps there is something in me that holds back from an experience of a more deeper level.

Part of the satisfaction for me is acchieving the habit,(the self discipline at just making a regular start of the practice) i found that difficult at first.

I suppose like Dave has mentioned we all want something different,and judging by some other posts each individual's experience is unique to them.

The great thing about this thread Pattricia is that there has been no pressure to do anything other then what feels right for them, but its been interesting to hear other other peoples perspective's.

In the beginning i did do a bit of searching on the internet,but i didn't do any downloading or make any contact if that was an option.

This is one of those,which i thought might be worth pasting to just have a peek at the benifits they mention. So many of the same results you have shared with us.

http://www.ineedmotivation.com/blog/2008/05/100-benefits-of-meditation/

I shall take my time and read your link carefully, as it looks very interesting. Dont expect big changes immediately from meditation, janie, the main thing is persistence. Some days I feel no difference, and other days I feel big changes.

I shall take my time and read your link carefully, as it looks very interesting. Dont expect big changes immediately from meditation, janie, the main thing is persistence. Some days I feel no difference, and other days I feel big changes.

Thanks Pattricia i won't raise my expectations to highly to begin with,or compare my own experience with anyone else. My main goal at this early stage is going to be persistence.:)

Archived