Meditation MEGATHREAD

Hiya Richard, i wouldnt have thought there was any, at the very least you can relax when Meditating..

I just wish i had a less noisy dog, he always manages to bark when im halfway through...:hihi:

There can always be negative experience, it may not be caused by the meditation 'method' itself (which is of course neutral) but by how we react to the experience. I just thought I'd ask in case anyone was feeling negative but didn't feel brave enough to offer that information without being asked. Alas sometimes people feel awkward if they don't fully understand why they feel a certain way and that awkwardness can be a barrier to simply saying 'I don't understand'.

Regarding the dog (pesky critters ;) I have one myself) when he puts you off, don't make a big deal out of it, just return your awareness to your breath.

I bought a DVD with funny noises and flashing lights. It sent me to sleep in and I felt myself float away from my mansion.

The same thing happened to me. I have a cd of ocean waves, and I woke up to find myself on a desert island with George Clooney by my side.:rolleyes:

I have had no negative experiences at all, only positive.

For me the greatest benifits have been the periods of stillness and the deep breathing method that aids the relaxation.

I have a habit of always having noise in the background eg TV, radio or music.

so the period of silence is calming in itself i have found.

There have been no negatives,except the odd occasion when in the evening i have dosed off for a few minutes and then been wide awake in the early hours of the morning.

For me the greatest benifits have been the periods of stillness and the deep breathing method that aids the relaxation.

There have been no negatives,except the odd occasion when in the evening i have dosed off for a few minutes and then been wide awake in the early hours of the morning.

that can be countered by changing the way you breathe. You don't need to breathe calming, deep breath to meditate, if you feel yourself starting to doze then make your breathing heavier, maybe long in and short out breaths. Experiment and see what works best for you.

that can be countered by changing the way you breathe. You don't need to breathe calming, deep breath to meditate, if you feel yourself starting to doze then make your breathing heavier, maybe long in and short out breaths. Experiment and see what works best for you.

Yes i will try that. Thanks Richard.

Apart from meditating I have slept much better and deeper at night.

Sometimes instead of closing my eyes while meditating, I stare at an object in front of me. This has a very good hypnotic effect.

What pleases me most is that the medical profession fully accepts the benefits of both meditation and Tai Chi. Especially for the lowering of blood pressure.

My GP told me about distraction techniques, redirecting your thoughts. My mind was on terrifying medical matters, bad enough without being made worse by worry and imagination. All I did was take up a couple of hobbies, hobbies which can be done anywhere and anytime. Photography is one of them. The anxiety, depression etc. lifted. The blood pressure still crops up now and again but meds plus relaxation takes care of that.

Only thing I cant get to grips with is a regular sleep pattern, Doc reckons its Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, I just call it a pain in the arse. Thank God for the internet, when I cant sleep I just log on and research info for my hobbies. I have passed on what I have learned to other cancer sufferers and they have sent good reports back.

Archived