Meditation MEGATHREAD

Falling alseep is quite common during breath meditation.

In my experience* this is usually because the method of instruction is either poor or incomplete and/or because your aim is not concentration on the breath but a nice floaty experience.

There are a couple of ways around it, firstly you can 'energize' your breathing by making it heavier, faster/slower, fast in/slow out (or slow in/fast out). There is absolutely nothing wrong with experimenting and seeing what works for you. If you're concentrating on the breath it doesn't have to be deep, slow and relaxing, so many people think when meditating it has to be deep and relaxing. If your goal is concentrating on the breath then that is exactly what you should do (concentrate).

The second way is by taking yourself away from your normal sitting/lying position into something else. The Buddha taught (I'm well aware you're not wanting specific Buddhist meditation but this may help anyone reading this) that meditation was to be carried out in all tasks, including walking.

A sure way of avoiding falling to sleep while meditating is by walking, the Buddha gave specific instruction on this but essentially just do your normal meditation (eyes open!) while walking. Either set yourself a route or just pace back and forth.

I'm not sure why your hyperventilating without seeing you do it/listening to what instruction your using. Just relax, breath naturally and breath in a way that is right for you - at the risk of being way off the mark I would suggest your trying to concentrate too hard.

Good look, like I said I don't really have any experience in that but do share your findings for those on the thread that may be interested in it.

:)

*I'm saying this because I don't want to be jumped on by people saying 'There you go again thinking you know it all', There is so much I don't know about meditation, all I'm doing is offering to share insights that I have gained in my own practice and observing others, there is no criticism intended towards anyone else's practice in any way, shape or form, there can't be because we all have our own goals and what works for one doesn't work for all. I'm just sharing general principles that do generally work accross the board.

I think its the big long breath in to the count of around 4 then the hold for 4 then the breath out for 4 kind of ones.

after a few of these i get right out of breath so just cant get to the relaxing breath naturally state :|

ill try that way that you have just said to try and let you know how i go with that.

iv been a little bit busy lately so not had chance to do much of anything really . ill keep posting on here though with any experience or updates.

Thankyou lots for all your advice :)

Blessings

x

I think its the big long breath in to the count of around 4 then the hold for 4 then the breath out for 4 kind of ones.

after a few of these i get right out of breath so just cant get to the relaxing breath naturally state :|[/Quote]

Ooooooooouuuuwch.

You're not concentrating on the breath doing that, sounds more like a method to achieve a nice floaty feeling, not my cup of tea that!

Thankyou lots for all your advice :)

Blessings

x

Thank me if it helps you acheive what you're after, if not feel free to ridicule me as much as you like :hihi::hihi:

Off to work now, bye bye.

Ooooooooouuuuwch.

You're not concentrating on the breath doing that, sounds more like a method to achieve a nice floaty feeling, not my cup of tea that!

Thank me if it helps you acheive what you're after, if not feel free to ridicule me as much as you like :hihi::hihi:

Off to work now, bye bye.

ohh it did that alright but it wasnt a nice floaty feeling it was like that nasty lightheadedness that you get after youv just blown a bag of balloons up :o

my bold bit ..... i will dont you worry bout that ** giggles**

have a nice day at work, im busy cracking the whip here we now have only 3 weeks and 6 days to get the latest project ready for the next big mini show :o:o

x

Archived