Meditation MEGATHREAD

Hi

I am a local hypnotherapist based in Sheffield.

I would like to stress that relaxation CD's should only ever be used in a safe enviroment, never while driving a car or operating machinery. Unless your car is parked somewhere safe.

I have a web site with a free ten minute relaxation session on all pages, other than the home page. I mention before the recording the safety requirements.

Cheers

Tim

• 1 year later...

Can anyone help me learn how to meditate?

I think it will help me in many ways - which I don't want to discuss here but if anyone would be willing/able to help me please PM me.

I guess I will stick a question in here too, do you (anyone) believe that meditation works?

I guess I will stick a question in here too, do you (anyone) believe that meditation works?
It depends entirely what you mean by 'meditation' and 'works'. There are many different things that are called meditation.

Some can certainly help clear your mind of stress etc. or even make decisions, but it's not gonna cure cancer or let you fly.

It depends entirely what you mean by 'meditation' and 'works'. There are many different things that are called meditation.

Some can certainly help clear your mind of stress etc. or even make decisions, but it's not gonna cure cancer or let you fly.

well i don't plan to cure cancer with it or fly :P but hopefully to help the clearing mind of stress area

The courses run by the FWBO are excellent and there is no expectation at all to go the whole hog and become Buddhist. The six week beginner's course has just begun, the lunchtime sessions are a good place to start if you can make them.

The meditation course at Hunter's Bar has not been satisfactory for several people I've met, who felt it was more directly connected to the sect. I have been meditating daily for over six months now and without meaning to sound gushy it's changed me more than I thought was possible. I had anger and mood difficulties which have been greatly ironed out, and it helps you to step back and observe your emotions and thoughts rather than be caught up in them. I'm calmer and can deal with moods more clearly, and have been able to process a lot of difficult issues with the insight meditation can lead to.

I think the surprising thing was how many instances we find ourselves meditating without realizing that that's what it is. It's related to what psychology calls flow states, and there are many approaches to getting on that wavelength without necessarily sitting on a cushion sniffing joss sticks!

Mindfulness has become a very popular and practical skill in dealing with stress, or just feeling more at peace and appreciating life more.

If you do want to know more don't hesitate to PM me, and I hope it works well for you. :)

The courses run by the FWBO are excellent and there is no expectation at all to go the whole hog and become Buddhist. The six week beginner's course has just begun, the lunchtime sessions are a good place to start if you can make them.

The meditation course at Hunter's Bar has not been satisfactory for several people I've met, who felt it was more directly connected to the sect. I have been meditating daily for over six months now and without meaning to sound gushy it's changed me more than I thought was possible. I had anger and mood difficulties which have been greatly ironed out, and it helps you to step back and observe your emotions and thoughts rather than be caught up in them. I'm calmer and can deal with moods more clearly, and have been able to process a lot of difficult issues with the insight meditation can lead to.

I think the surprising thing was how many instances we find ourselves meditating without realizing that that's what it is. It's related to what psychology calls flow states, and there are many approaches to getting on that wavelength without necessarily sitting on a cushion sniffing joss sticks!

Mindfulness has become a very popular and practical skill in dealing with stress, or just feeling more at peace and appreciating life more.

If you do want to know more don't hesitate to PM me, and I hope it works well for you. :)

Just to back up Purdys claim.

It has changed how she deals with stress and moods on a profound level. As one of her close friends I've seen this step by step as she's progressed with it and it has been phenomenal.

I hope you find what you're looking for :)

Just to back up Purdys claim.

It has changed how she deals with stress and moods on a profound level. As one of her close friends I've seen this step by step as she's progressed with it and it has been phenomenal.

I hope you find what you're looking for :)

Aww thank you. :blush::love:

ETA: Though it's not ideal to learn from a book, there are some lovely basic guides. A classic one is The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hahn

Archived