TheFT - Tax England's green and pleasant land.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1e98b4da-5d56-11e1-869d-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz1nIsMyL31

“Roads are made, streets are made . . electric light turns night into day. . . To not one of those improvements does the land monopolist. . . contribute, and yet by every one of them the value of his land is enhanced. . . ”

Who do you think said this? Karl Marx? Paul Krugman? Ed Miliband? Myself in a bad mood? The correct answer is Winston Churchill as a minister in the pre-first world war Liberal cabinet.

If you do not have access to theFT and would like to read the article, please google "tax england's green and pleasant land" and click the appropriate link in order to load the page.

They put the case for the LVT and CI (Land Value Tax and Citizens Income)...

For the LVT is fair and just.

Perversely in this country we reward parasitic rent seekers and punish people for doing productive work. So much so, that we often stop them from working in the first place.

The land monopolist is financially rewarded, whilst the young are denied employment. If things do not change we could soon descend into a civil war.

Consider the Buy to let landlord and a young man whom works hard in the food production industry.

The buy to let landlord he merely signs a piece of paper to take out some debt, he then is in a position of power over the landless peasant.

The young man works hard for 25 years, providing food for hundreds of his fellow men, the landlord charges the man so much in rent that he need not work for a living, and without doing anything productive whatsoever he ends up with a house and a living at the expense of the productive.

What should we be taxing?

The hard working youth who does productive things that benefit us all?

Or perhaps the idle land monopolist whom merely seeks to extract rent at the expense of the rest of society?

We should be taxing your threads. It seems you have a monopoly on property/land threads :)

I have no monopoly, people are free to create their own, there can be an infinite amount of threads.

I charge not for people to read my threads, although I understand you might find it taxing on the brain...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1e98b4da-5d56-11e1-869d-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz1nIsMyL31

If you do not have access to theFT and would like to read the article, please google "tax england's green and pleasant land" and click the appropriate link in order to load the page.

They put the case for the LVT and CI (Land Value Tax and Citizens Income)...

For the LVT is fair and just.

Perversely in this country we reward parasitic rent seekers and punish people for doing productive work. So much so, that we often stop them from working in the first place.

The land monopolist is financially rewarded, whilst the young are denied employment. If things do not change we could soon descend into a civil war.

Consider the Buy to let landlord and a young man whom works hard in the food production industry.

The buy to let landlord he merely signs a piece of paper to take out some debt, he then is in a position of power over the landless peasant.

If it's that easy we can all join in and there will be no landless peasant.

The young man works hard for 25 years, providing food for hundreds of his fellow men, the landlord charges the man so much in rent that he need not work for a living, and without doing anything productive whatsoever he ends up with a house and a living at the expense of the productive.

Yes, because rents are so high that letting a single house means you never have to work again!*

*rental income may have been greatly exaggerated

And also the landless peasant is forced to rent, because buying his own land to live on would be impossible due to the monopoly situation.*

*Impossibility of buying a house may have been greatly exaggerated

What should we be taxing?

How about the income of both of them?

The hard working youth who does productive things that benefit us all?

Or perhaps the idle land monopolist whom merely seeks to extract rent at the expense of the rest of society?

He takes a risk with the debt, he's entitled to make a return, and he will of course pay tax on that return.

I have no monopoly, people are free to create their own, there can be an infinite amount of threads.

I charge not for people to read my threads, although I understand you might find it taxing on the brain...

I am guessing you are still in shock that another one of your life's freebies has been snubbed out - the station toilets.

What is with all this envy? Maybe you should buy some land and make your millions.

I am guessing you are still in shock that another one of your life's freebies has been snubbed out - the station toilets.

What is with all this envy? Maybe you should buy some land and make your millions.

Why do you bother posting?

You don't comment on the subject raised in the OP.

If you want to talk about the station toilets, there is a thread for that.

Agent Orange, and his toxic nonsense "He takes a risk with the debt, he's entitled to make a return, and he will of course pay tax on that return.

"

Sure he takes a risk? Well as there is a social housing shortage, seems a very safe risk to anyone that is aware of the facts.

I assume you also support PFI contracts where ther is also the concept of risk, thus building a hospital school, etc cost many times more than it would on the open market!

It seems utter Bol***ks is a popular passtime for some!

Archived