Look on the Brightside.

Texas

I worked down there for a number of years, on the railway, at Grimesthorpe Shed. I would look at all those terraced houses opposite the shed, and wonder who named Brightside, Brightside. What with English Steels chucking the muck out and all the locos getting up steam, the smoke barely lifting, it wasn't very bright at all. It must've been somebody with an sense of irony unsurpassed. Mind you, maybe in the very early 1800's, before the industry really kicked in, it could've been nice down there.

Hi Texas - during my misspent, trainspotting youth I got to know this "less than bright" part of Sheffield quite well also. According to John Hunter F.S.A. in his book Hallamshire, in the 16th century this locality was known as Brekesherth (in a deed dating from the time of Henry VIII Thomas de Furnival gave to the monks of Worksop 5 marks yearly from his mills at Brekesherth). During the reign of Elizabeth I, Brightside was evidently written as Brixard. So it seems to have no connection with the Bright family of Carbrook Hall (unlike, for example, Bright Street in Carbrook).

Archived