Eating Healthy on a Budget

You mean spend all day shopping instead of working?

Only if it takes you all day to buy a bit of meat and a few veg.

It would take me about ten minutes, but I am pretty efficient:wink:

I love chilli, when ever I cook a curry with chicken I tend to put half in fridge when cooled but do not know how many days it will stand for and if I can freeze it.

I have some stewing steak in a freezer bag as well as in a tin, I have also got loads of bread and loads of beans, so beans on toast most days will do.

What can I do with stuff like pasta, especially spaghetti and rice, should I boil the pasta or can I cook it into a chilli con carne or something else.

Also, I like tinned tuna chunks but always use it for sandwiches, can I use it for cooking like in a pan of chopped tomatoes, also, are meatballs and burgers easy to make because I have heard you only need minced beef, some spices and an egg and you can make anything.

You can freeze chilli and curry if you can't afford lots of boxes put a plastic bag in a box fill it and take it out when frozen and do the same with your next lot. Tuna can be used in pasta bake . When using pasta and rice it is easier to boil it when you need it in the amounts you want then just take a portion of curry or chilli out of the freezer and microwave. Try your beans in a jacket potato for a change and you can also have tuna in a jacket. How about spaghetti bolognese another thing that freezes well.

Buying daily is OK, but just buying what you need for the day can exclude you from savings.

Assuming that you have a fridge or freezer, you need to be prepared to grab those bargains when they are just about to hit their "display until" dates - best after 4:30pm.

Become 'price savvy' though. Some stuff on the regular shelves may still be cheaper than items on the discount corner.

Remember that when they wrap cling-film round veg, it usually doubles the price.

Many is the time that I have just gone in for milk and come out with a back full of freezable stuff. Sirloin steak for £1? gotta get it!

Buying larger packs of stuff is usually (not always though) cheaper.

Lamb? Bit dear for me so only gets bought with cheapo tickets on.

Archived