The ultimate torment - children's squeaky shoes!

Squeakers? Good lord. My children had shoes with lights in them and my son had the shoes with wheels.

As a child, I had shoes with horseshoes on the bottoms. Thin pieces of metal, like tap shoes. I don't remember where I got them, but I loved those shoes! Running, making sparks on hard surfaces and a TON of noise. I was only allowed to wear them outside. Never, EVER to school, church, and certainly never in a restaurant or store, etc.

On a funny note, there was a cop show where the perp took off running. The police had no trouble finding him. It was dark and he was wearing those light up shoes.

Squeakers? Good lord. My children had shoes with lights in them and my son had the shoes with wheels.

As a child, I had shoes with horseshoes on the bottoms. Thin pieces of metal, like tap shoes. I don't remember where I got them, but I loved those shoes! Running, making sparks on hard surfaces and a TON of noise. I was only allowed to wear them outside. Never, EVER to school, church, and certainly never in a restaurant or store, etc.

On a funny note, there was a cop show where the perp took off running. The police had no trouble finding him. .

:hihi:

Back in the 1950s some kids had 'segs' put on their shoes. Your thin bits of metal sound just like these! They were really to prolong the life of the shoes but I remember the boys in particular 'sparking' them.

There would have been no problem with the squeakers if the child had been outside. But in a small, busy café they were very annoying. Some parents just seem to think their children are perfect, and expect everyone else to think the same. It doesn't do the child any favours IMO.

:hihi:

Back in the 1950s some kids had 'segs' put on their shoes. Your thin bits of metal sound just like these! They were really to prolong the life of the shoes but I remember the boys in particular 'sparking' them.

There would have been no problem with the squeakers if the child had been outside. But in a small, busy café they were very annoying. Some parents just seem to think their children are perfect, and expect everyone else to think the same. It doesn't do the child any favours IMO.

I remember having metal pieces put on the heels of our shoes at shoe repair places, but these were miniature horseshoes. Looking back, I was probably a menace with those shoes but I thought they were the greatest thing ever. I can assure you, I'd have never seen those shoes again if I'd worn them anywhere but outside.

I love children, and I'm extraordinarily patient and understanding in certain circumstances. A sick or crying child on an airplane? Don't worry about the crying, it's ok. But holy hell. If the babe is exhausted and cranky, then go home and put them to bed. Don't continue to sit and yap with your friends, or check your email, or act oblivious while your child disturbs everyone within a 500 ft. radius.

My children have both behaved horribly in public when they were small and I immediately took them home, if possible. Besides others, I don't want to listen to that.

Squeekers in little'uns shoes have been out for years. We bought some for our lad 26 years ago thinking the same as a previous poster. Our boy had just learned to walk and we thought What a good idea! We will be able to hear him running around !' that lasted for all of five minutes before it drove us nuts! We finally took them out after we took him to a big family party and every single person there said " for Gods sake take them 'beep' shoes off 'im !!

Squeaking shoes seem pretty useful to me. I first came across them in Nepal, where you'll often see toddlers around where their parents are working - they let you hear where your kind is so you can keep track of them easier without having to watch them all the time.

Great idea until there's a few dozen wandering around squeaking, which one do you follow, or as parents can we home in on the individual sound our child's shoes make :hihi::hihi:

Archived