Unwins of Hillsborough and Fulwood

mune10366

Hi Flyer sorry but had computer bug but back on now. Can you remember going to school over the feilds in the winter and the time I felloff a lamp p[ost outside of the school gate and brook my leg I remember a time when I ran away and slept in a air raid shellter in someones garden Mune10366

My family were called Unwin and they originated from Hilb. My father was called Reg Unwin and I cannot remember his brothers and sisters names, I think one was called Dot. ( I am 62 yrs old so we are going back a long time.) I cannot remember the name of the road where they lived, but I do remember it was by a school. I can remember going to my fathers mothers house and I think it was up a big hill.

I have lived in the North West of England for 40 years so I have lost contact with all my parents relatives over the years.

Please let me know if we might be related etc.

Yours Stella.

hi Stella I'm going to jump in with my 2cents, Wilf still asn't told me if he remembers my face,we knew the Unwins before landing up in fulwood together. The big steep hill you refer to runs almost to Penistone Rd,I remember Wilf sliding down in the snow on a coal shovel ,us all holding our breath in case he hit the trams on penistone rd.The school (I do believe) could be the one in the movie "The Full Monty" it is the same area,I left in 1946 so St names are begining to fade

All the best Adrian

Hi Mune, Sorry I cannot remember a John Unwin. I have found out that my fathers family were brought up around Dial House or Dykes Hall Roads area. I don't know how many brothers and sisters he had but I think he had maybe 4 or 5. My father was born in 1912.

• 2 years later...

Hello to you all. I am 61 and living in Canada since 1968. My Grandfather had a shop at 552 and 554 Langsette road Hillsborough and next door was the Unwins shop. We bought their house at 356 middlewood Road North, around the late 1950's. I dont know if it is any help at all, but good luck. Jan Softly. was Janet Ward then.

Hello to you all. I am 61 and living in Canada since 1968. My Grandfather had a shop at 552 and 554 Langsette road Hillsborough and next door was the Unwins shop. We bought their house at 356 middlewood Road North, around the late 1950's. I dont know if it is any help at all, but good luck. Jan Softly. was Janet Ward then.

getting closer to High-house rd (now long gone) where i remember Wilf fm ,so two family Unwins in the same area?or although I'm sure he lived on High-house could be he just came down & played at the bottom end ,gathering area for kids on waste land bottam of Bamforth(high-house ran fm Langsette to Bamforth I cant recall Middlewood or are we talking same spot?

Archived