Is a book really worth all this?

Is a burnt book reason enough for all this violence?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Is a burnt book reason enough for all this violence?

• Yes
    • No

Two US soldiers were killed on Thursday, something you should have known. And another 2 high-ranking US officers were killed today. The Nazis burned books and now the US military is burning books. The Taleban are just taking the view that US soldiers, like the Nazis, have to be killed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/9105802/Two-senior-American-soldiers-shot-dead-in-Kabul.html

Strange point to make. Because the Nazis burned books they can be easily compared with the Americans who are also burning books? I'm not sure it was book burning that people had against the Nazis - you're forgetting a little point about genocide which really got peoples backs up.

That aside, I completely understand why people are being killed over the book burning. I understand that it's because said people hold on to ridiculous, fanatical, unfounded beliefs which are so ingrained that they cannot possibly comprehend human life being worth even a millionth of the respect which should be shown their religion.

Believe what you want, but don't expect others to believe it if it's downright insane. Expect them to dispose of paper however they want without feeling a duty to complete a sacrificial rain dance to your invisible sky-man

Strange point to make. Because the Nazis burned books they can be easily compared with the Americans who are also burning books? I'm not sure it was book burning that people had against the Nazis - you're forgetting a little point about genocide which really got peoples backs up.

That aside, I completely understand why people are being killed over the book burning. I understand that it's because said people hold on to ridiculous, fanatical, unfounded beliefs which are so ingrained that they cannot possibly comprehend human life being worth even a millionth of the respect which should be shown their religion.

Believe what you want, but don't expect others to believe it if it's downright insane. Expect them to dispose of paper however they want without feeling a duty to complete a sacrificial rain dance to your invisible sky-man

The Americans get people's backs up too. The Americans have killed millions of innocent people since WW2, a lot more than Islamic extremists have. In Vietnam alone the total dead is estimated to be between 2 million and 4 million. Add in the other wars - direct and proxy - the US has been responsible for and the US is looking at a lot of blood on their hands. They're just stupid enough and arrogant enough to believe that they can invade anywhere and people will thank them for it. They then blunder into mistakes like this one and end up getting their own troops killed as a result. The Taleban will be back in government in Afghanistan soon at which point the Americans may have to tell everyone why it was all worth it. This isn't the outcome of Islam. It's the outcome of US imperialism.

The Americans get people's backs up too. The Americans have killed millions of innocent people since WW2, a lot more than Islamic extremists have. In Vietnam alone the total dead is estimated to be between 2 million and 4 million. Add in the other wars - direct and proxy - the US has been responsible for and the US is looking at a lot of blood on their hands. They're just stupid enough and arrogant enough to believe that they can invade anywhere and people will thank them for it. They then blunder into mistakes like this one and end up getting their own troops killed as a result. The Taleban will be back in government in Afghanistan soon at which point the Americans may have to tell everyone why it was all worth it. This isn't the outcome of Islam. It's the outcome of US imperialism.

You really think that the Taliban will be allowed to take up Government ever again ? :loopy:

You really think that the Taliban will be allowed to take up Government ever again ? :loopy:

There was a Taliban flag flying over Libya's government building shortly after the US ensured peace was installed in the region.

I'm pretty sure the US don't give a **** whether the Taliban rule a country

The Americans have done some pretty deplorable things (although not genocide). However, they cannot be blamed for the murder over the burning of a book. This is down to fanatical beliefs in invisible things to a point where someone will die to protect them. Nothing to do with the Americans. I'm quite sure you would have bore the brunt of similar aggression if you had contravened their religious laws

• 2 months later...
It may be important to some but seriously, is a book worth all this killing?

12 killed yesterday, another today, score of people injured.

5 days of protests because some paper was accidentally (or so they say) burned, how many more will die, how much longer will this go on for?

Will these people ever get a sense of perspective?

And on another note, can we have a whip round for Moran to have spelling lessons?

Also, If some kind mod is passing can they kindly change the spelling of violence in the question please :D

Thanks.

90% cannot even read the useless thing.

It may be important to some but seriously, is a book worth all this killing?

12 killed yesterday, another today, score of people injured.

5 days of protests because some paper was accidentally (or so they say) burned, how many more will die, how much longer will this go on for?

Will these people ever get a sense of perspective?

And on another note, can we have a whip round for Moran to have spelling lessons?

Also, If some kind mod is passing can they kindly change the spelling of violence in the question please :D

Thanks.

Since you haven't said which book you are referring to, I'm assuming it's "Razzle". I can kind of identify with this, I once punched somebody for stealing my "Lookin" magazine when I was a kid

Interesting use of the term 'accident'. That's not accident in the sense of someone carelessly droping a fag end or a match is it though?

The holy books were confiscated from prisoners and burned - the US military has quite rightly apologised, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Old korans get burned end of story. The mistake was to burn them with general waste. In doing this the nutters were handed an excuse to kill.

Old korans get burned end of story. The mistake was to burn them with general waste. In doing this the nutters were handed an excuse to kill.

Why burn it when you can wipe you a*se on it, it might become recycled.:rant:

Archived