Who should run the NHS?

Tony

Who should run the NHS and decide how money is spent?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who should run the NHS and decide how money is spent?

• Doctors and nurses?
    • Civil servants?
    • Managers?
    • Politicians?
    • Patients?

Who should run the NHS and decide how money is spent?

Doctors and nurses?

Civil servants?

Managers?

Politicians?

Patients?

I would think that Doctors and nurses should decide what patients need; managers should decide what the hospital can afford and an elected group of people from the above list should have a say on how to prioritise how they spend the money they have.

It seems to me that healthcare and education are turned upside down every time there is a change of government. Each new government insist that their "improvements" are essential no matter what the workers in that sector were promised before.

We need to prevent politicians from meddling in these areas. It will prevent so much waste.

It seems to me that healthcare and education are turned upside down every time there is a change of government. Each new government insist that their "improvements" are essential no matter what the workers in that sector were promised before.

We need to prevent politicians from meddling in these areas. It will prevent so much waste.

Well Said.:thumbsup:

The whole "GPs running the NHS" idea is a nonstarter as far as im concerned. Many (most?) GPs lack knowledge of how the NHS runs outside of their consultation rooms.

Whenever I try to get to my GP, in a practice of 7 GP's consortium, there is always at least a 5 or 6 day waiting list.

Even for the emergency list, you have to get past the receptionists first.

I would not trust GP's to run a raffle, never mind the NHS.

I've long thought that we have education management the wrong way round. The best teachers get promoted and end up doing jobs that are divorced from teaching, the thing that they are good at. It diminishes the quality of teaching if the best teachers are form filling. Same with the police, I suspect.

I think that turning the Health Service over to Doctors carries the same risk. I want a good surgeon to be focussed on surgery, a good GP should be properly focussed on running a good surgery and keeping up to date with medical developments.

Managers should manage the NHS. They need advice from the medics, but they need to take decisions and be accountable for them. We certainly don't need the massive bureaucracy that has grown and grown within the NHS. I don't know the proportion of the NHS budget that is spent on admin, but it should be relatively simple to set a limit and insist that managers stick to it. I'd suggest 10% spent on management and 90% spent on actual doctory, nursey care type stuff. The stuff that we are all happy to pay our taxes for.

Anyone read 'The Peter Principle'?

Promoting seemingly competent and able clinicians into management is basically promoting them into jobs they are not qualified or trained to do. It's like creating an unnecessary and incompetent extra layer of management almost overnight. It'll be a complete disaster.

I've long thought that we have education management the wrong way round. The best teachers get promoted and end up doing jobs that are divorced from teaching, the thing that they are good at. It diminishes the quality of teaching if the best teachers are form filling. Same with the police, I suspect.

I think that turning the Health Service over to Doctors carries the same risk. I want a good surgeon to be focussed on surgery, a good GP should be properly focussed on running a good surgery and keeping up to date with medical developments.

Managers should manage the NHS. They need advice from the medics, but they need to take decisions and be accountable for them. We certainly don't need the massive bureaucracy that has grown and grown within the NHS. I don't know the proportion of the NHS budget that is spent on admin, but it should be relatively simple to set a limit and insist that managers stick to it. I'd suggest 10% spent on management and 90% spent on actual doctory, nursey care type stuff. The stuff that we are all happy to pay our taxes for.

All managers should be qualified for the departments they control.

Medical

Nursing

Engineering

Catering

Domestics

It is no good bringing in a man who has run a chain of restuarants to run a hospital, for instance.

Or a man who has run a building firm to run them.

Or a politician.

But they do this, and look where it is getting us.

Exactly where they want us, I suspect.

Out of interest - what do you see as the role of government? what can they meddle in?

Archived