Who should run the NHS?

Tony

Who should run the NHS and decide how money is spent?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who should run the NHS and decide how money is spent?

• Doctors and nurses?
    • Civil servants?
    • Managers?
    • Politicians?
    • Patients?

I've long thought that we have education management the wrong way round. The best teachers get promoted and end up doing jobs that are divorced from teaching, the thing that they are good at. It diminishes the quality of teaching if the best teachers are form filling. Same with the police, I suspect.

I think that turning the Health Service over to Doctors carries the same risk. I want a good surgeon to be focussed on surgery, a good GP should be properly focussed on running a good surgery and keeping up to date with medical developments.

Managers should manage the NHS. They need advice from the medics, but they need to take decisions and be accountable for them. We certainly don't need the massive bureaucracy that has grown and grown within the NHS. I don't know the proportion of the NHS budget that is spent on admin, but it should be relatively simple to set a limit and insist that managers stick to it. I'd suggest 10% spent on management and 90% spent on actual doctory, nursey care type stuff. The stuff that we are all happy to pay our taxes for.

Agreed. Doctors have had many many years of training to become a doctor- they are not accountants, contract managers, procurement experts, lawyers etc.

Who should run the NHS and decide how money is spent?

Doctors and nurses?

Civil servants?

Managers?

Politicians?

Patients?

If we still have this scum government in ten years time and you post the same thread , the reply will be........"What is the NHS?"

It is very obvious that Cameron wants to sell it off cheap to his scummy etonian friends.

Archived