Planetary conjunction tonight (25/02/12)

We were clouded out here, could see the Moon, and Venus occasionally, but too misty for anything else.

I am determined to see this space station one day, that and the Northern Lights.:hihi:

Tomorrow at 7:11pm.

Check this website:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=United_Kingdom&region=England&city=Sheffield

Can anyone tell me why, when I looked at the moon last night, I could see the crescent lit brightly but I could still also see the rest of the moon very dimly lit?

This is called "Earthshine;" it is sunlight being reflected from the Earth, onto the Moon, and back again to Earth. It's most often noticeable when the Moon is a very thin crescent.

The portion lit by Earthshine is only about one thousandth as bright as the crescent which is lit directly by Sunlight. Many people never notice it at all; Leonardo da Vinci was the first to provide an explanation for it.

We were clouded out here, could see the Moon, and Venus occasionally, but too misty for anything else.

I am determined to see this space station one day, that and the Northern Lights.:hihi:

The other night when it came over, it was a really bright magnitude. I was leaping up and down in the garden like a loon, as never managed to see it before. I wanted to see the shuttle and the ISS docking together for the last time, but it was cloudy every time it went over!

You can download an app for your phone, a NASA tracker that will tell you when you're most likely to see it. If you have a newish phone, that is :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived