Has anyone ever done a driving holiday?

I think you may find it takes longer than you think heading south in mainland Europe. We do Sheffield to Stuttgart on a regular basis via Dover ferry or tunnel depending what we can get a deal on. We have two toddlers to entertain and split the driving but our average door to door non stop (apart from a couple of hours for swap overs, food and toilet stops) is 20 hours.

We normally travel in a people carrier with a roof box but will be going again in a couple of weeks in our motorhome so expect the journey to take a couple of days as we don't tend to go above 60mph and can pull over for the night at one of the many free aires (France) or stellplatz (Germany). It's another 3 hours usually from Stuttgart to Innsbruck on a fantastically scenic route but, as stated above, there's not much for kids in travelling as far as you can in 12 days. We looked at hiring a motorhome for a 3 week holiday to Croatia which (including insurance, breakdown cover, additional hire of tables, chairs, tv, crockery etc) worked out at about £2400 plus fuel. We then calculated, based on hire costs, how many days we would have to use a MH to make it cost effective to buy our own which worked out at around 21 days per year which is easily done with 2 weeks in Germany, 2 weekends away (so far), week at the olympics.

We bought a 3rd hand 7 year old from an old couple who had treated it like a baby and have loved every minute of it ........so far

I'm not sure what would be in it for the kids, to be honest.

I did a driving holiday around Scotland a few years back - as others have said I just had a map, a car and a few weeks with nothing to do, although I had arranged to meet mates in Elgin and Mallaig - I just drove around the coast anti clockwise.

Anyway, the point is that I love driving, and even I was a bit bored of spending a couple of hours in the car each day in the end, and I had full control over where I went and when.

I think the kids will like it some days and hate it others, and all you will really see is the inside of the camper van.

Perhaps be a little less adventurous and just potter along the north coast of France?

My dad had an A-Team(esque) van, and it was a hot summer of 91, i was waiting for GSCE results, and he said sod it lets go for a drive, maybe nip over to Calais for some fags. We got as far as Calais, and he said sod it, lets go to Paris - then Lyon, then Marseille, Cannes, Nice, Monacco, Milan, Genoa, Turin, Geneva, Zurich, Stuttgart, Luxemburg, Brussels, and Amsterdam, Rotterdam.. absolutely awesome. Took 6 days, mum wasn't impressed.

Another good thing is to join the caravan club they get some real discount on things and they can help with planning things,its OK winging it when you are on your own but with kids in tow it needs a bit more planning,we took the kids to Spain and they were bored before we even got on the MI, we did have to stop a lot to let them run around and blow a bit of steam off , they were fascinated by the French toilets.

we did have to stop a lot to let them run around and blow a bit of steam off , they were fascinated by the French toilets.

you will find some really good laybys on the Belgian motorways with some great play areas but you will be expected to pay most of the time for using the toliets at service stations throughout France, Belgium and Germany so plan your stops carefully.

this is also a benefit of having a motorhome as you always have a toilet with you .......as long as we don't need to pass more than 15 litres we are fine until we reach our destination

They're no different to ours. I hope you didn't make a mess of a sink or something.

;)

No they are just holes in the floor in the motorway stops, my grand-kids thought they were showers,she came running out and said can I have some soap and a towel there is a shower in the toilet and I can have a shower:o

No they are just holes in the floor in the motorway stops, my grand-kids thought they were showers,she came running out and said can I have some soap and a towel there is a shower in the toilet and I can have a shower:o

Yes, the tasteful part is the outline of two feet on the floor indicating where to stand. :gag:

you will find some really good laybys on the Belgian motorways with some great play areas but you will be expected to pay most of the time for using the toliets at service stations throughout France, Belgium and Germany so plan your stops carefully.

this is also a benefit of having a motorhome as you always have a toilet with you .......as long as we don't need to pass more than 15 litres we are fine until we reach our destination

Not nice for number 2s though:gag:

Archived