Coloured lights in the Arts Tower

gingerpuss

Saw the tower and the lights this evening but it wasn't really dark so I did not see the full effect and live no where near the centre. Anyone taken any pictures etc of the tower lit up at night - I would love to see it. I thought it looked good even in the day light but I decided that I ought to concentrate on driving rather than the pretty lights!!

are you people serious, or are you living in a bubble, this country and others are in financial crisis and the working class are suffering the brunt as per, and money like this is spent on lights, your probably the type of people who go over the top illuminating their houses at xmas, disgusting!!

are you people serious, or are you living in a bubble, this country and others are in financial crisis and the working class are suffering the brunt as per, and money like this is spent on lights, your probably the type of people who go over the top illuminating their houses at xmas, disgusting!!

Do you actually know how much money, if any, has been spent on the lights seeing that you are so set against them? They could have come from another university department as they are only there for 5 nights.

What are you harping on about? A vast building has a few coloured lights illuminated to celebrate the end of a lengthy and complicated restoration costing £36 million. The lights themselves may cost a few hundreds at most. They were shown on Calendar tonight and aren't elaborate, but they do give effect (although they don't look all that wonderful).

I suspect the Maloney baloney is written without seeing the Tower lit up, without appreciating the minimal resources used to do it, without understanding the nature of the substantial contract work completed, the education provided to many students within, and the work this has provided to many people over a period of several years.

None of which contradicts the essential fact that the nation is heavily overdrawn and the debt is still getting worse despite the cuts! Nor does it deny that those at the bottom of the social ladder will always tend to suffer more than those at the top in any economic downturn.

However, a discussion about economic stimulus, spending cuts, and social cohesion is best started, or continued, on another thread.

At which point I'm switching off my lights before this harmless topic becomes more heated!!

Archived