Coloured lights in the Arts Tower

gingerpuss

Do you actually know how much money, if any, has been spent on the lights seeing that you are so set against them? They could have come from another university department as they are only there for 5 nights.

it does'nt matter where they come from ect, this type of money in these times could be better spent in far more disearning circumstances, it's extravigant and abusive, and pure arrogance and ignorence especially in sheffield who yet again have been hit the hardest in this resession,ask the people who are no longer in work due to fools and pure greed of people who have the say on stupid unesasary crap like this.

What are you harping on about? A vast building has a few coloured lights illuminated to celebrate the end of a lengthy and complicated restoration costing £36 million. The lights themselves may cost a few hundreds at most. They were shown on Calendar tonight and aren't elaborate, but they do give effect (although they don't look all that wonderful).

I suspect the Maloney baloney is written without seeing the Tower lit up, without appreciating the minimal resources used to do it, without understanding the nature of the substantial contract work completed, the education provided to many students within, and the work this has provided to many people over a period of several years.

None of which contradicts the essential fact that the nation is heavily overdrawn and the debt is still getting worse despite the cuts! Nor does it deny that those at the bottom of the social ladder will always tend to suffer more than those at the top in any economic downturn.

However, a discussion about economic stimulus, spending cuts, and social cohesion is best started, or continued, on another thread.

At which point I'm switching off my lights before this harmless topic becomes more heated!!

WOW!! maloney baloney, bet you racked your brain cell thinking that one up, stop making exuses up,it's money ill spent, get over it and admit it.

it does'nt matter where they come from ect, this type of money in these times could be better spent in far more disearning circumstances, it's extravigant and abusive, and pure arrogance and ignorence especially in sheffield who yet again have been hit the hardest in this resession,ask the people who are no longer in work due to fools and pure greed of people who have the say on stupid unesasary crap like this.

But without the 36 million pound refurb surely even more people would be out of work? The past 3 years must have provided work for many people and suppliers so is it really that bad that it cannot be celebrated for 5 nights?

£36milion, what a joke! some of that money could have gone to the childrens hospital, and probably helped some of our smaller companies to create some jobs for the unemployed. or even helped some of our kids with their university grants, cosmectic crap,GRRRRRRR

Why would the university give its money to the children's hospital or companies to create jobs? who do you think did the refurbished work for the last couple of years? building fairies?

Please explain how the university restoring one of its buildings (which is grade 2 listed) has anything to do with the state the country is in?

I took a few for anyone who can't see. Sorry for the poor quality I didn't have my good lens with me... And I made the pics tiny thinking i'd be able to put them in a post, but it seems it's disabled!

http://www.taniquetil.com/artstower/1.jpg

http://www.taniquetil.com/artstower/2.jpg

http://www.taniquetil.com/artstower/3.jpg

http://www.taniquetil.com/artstower/4.jpg

I took a few for anyone who can't see. Sorry for the poor quality I didn't have my good lens with me... And I made the pics tiny thinking i'd be able to put them in a post, but it seems it's disabled!

Nice photos, thanks for sharing:)

Hopefully I can share my Youtube link now I have 5 posts:)

Archived