Recommend me a true MPV, for passengers, camping and cargo

Ah..now this is why I asked - I'd completely overlooked the Multipla

Do FIAT still keep Tony the mechanic Fixing It Again though?

Mine has 140k on it, I've done 42k of them.

Apart from servicing I have:

• replaced a headlight bulb
  • had the tracking adjusted to 0 degrees because it was feathering the inner edges of the tyres
  • had a wishbone replaced (Sheffield roads!) - probably the real reason it was feathering tyres
  • had the timing belt changed because I didn't know when it had been done last (72k intervals, I had it done at c. 100k)
  • replaced the rear brake pads and one automatic adjuster because it fell apart when I took the drum off - brakes were fine before though
  • replaced all three sections of the handbrake cable as they all snapped between 110 and 130k miles. The front section is a bit exposed and the rubber casing gets split by gravel and stones, so they can take on water and thereby rust / freeze in winter - it's about the onlydesign flaw. You can cover it with a short section of guttering, but I haven't bothered.

The electrics are stable in mine, but some things don't work - however having taken the stereo out I'm pretty sure it's because a previous owner has hacked it about when they put the new stereo in. Everything that worked when I bought it still works.

The JTD engine is basically a detuned version of the 1.9 diesels in all other Fiats, Alfas and Vauxhalls - there are millions of them out there giving sterling service.

Basically, it's as reliable as any other car. Things will wear out though.

Ah..now this is why I asked - I'd completely overlooked the Multipla

Do FIAT still keep Tony the mechanic Fixing It Again though?

I can't comment on the mechanical reliability of the multipla. I do like the looks of the ugly one, and inside it's really airy and light. Buy one and let me know how it goes.

However, I've seen the back axle fall off an X 1/9, I've sat in the deckchair seats and looked through the plate glass windscreen on the Panda and sat waiting in the hard shoulder with only the driver and a Uno for company.

I'm sure that's all changed.

Their vans seem to be alright though.

I can't comment on the mechanical reliability of the multipla. I do like the looks of the ugly one, and inside it's really airy and light. Buy one and let me know how it goes.

However, I've seen the back axle fall off an X 1/9, I've sat in the deckchair seats and looked through the plate glass windscreen on the Panda and sat waiting in the hard shoulder with only the driver and a Uno for company.

I'm sure that's all changed.

Their vans seem to be alright though.

I've just remembered I replaced the auxilliary belt tensioner too as the old one was whining. The new one (a pattern part I got cheap) whines too, but at least I know it's a new thing whining :)

I've had a Vauxhall, three Fords, a Saab, an Alfa and a Fiat. I've had to call the breakdown people for the Vauxhall (water pump failed), one of the Fords (battery just died) the Alfa (fuel line not re-fitted properly after a service, so it popped off) and the Fiat (previous owner had left out one driveshaft bolt for some reason - the driveshaft popped out, so not really the cars fault)

That's in c. 350k miles - modern cars are pretty reliable if you get a decent one.

Just for you I've worked out the width of the rectangle you can fit in the back if it's sides are 6ft - basically how wide an area there is where you can lie down fully if you are 6ft tall.

It's not that big - you could fit in a rectangle that is 6 foot long by about 8 and a half inches wide - but unless you sleep ram rod straight I reckon you'd be fine - although you'd need some sort of mat as an air bed won't fit.

Just for you I've worked out the width of the rectangle you can fit in the back if it's sides are 6ft - basically how wide an area there is where you can lie down fully if you are 6ft tall.

It's not that big - you could fit in a rectangle that is 6 foot long by about 8 and a half inches wide - but unless you sleep ram rod straight I reckon you'd be fine - although you'd need some sort of mat as an air bed won't fit.

Sounds promising, given that I'm 5'8"

Might have to go for a browse at one in a used car dealers to have a good investigation of the potential before I look for a private sale one

Sounds better to drive than the Serena

Sounds promising, given that I'm 5'8"

Might have to go for a browse at one in a used car dealers to have a good investigation of the potential before I look for a private sale one

Sounds better to drive than the Serena

In which case, you will have a rectangle about 14 inches wide by 5 foot 8 long.

I found there were relatively few around at dealers, although in theory you can still by a new one. I don't think any Fiat dealers actually stock them though; I never even saw a secondhand one there.

They are surprisingly good to drive - a lot f the gubbins underneath is from the Bravo/Brava, but wider. It has a wheel in each corner, and it's quite wide, so although it leans a little - as do all tall cars - it grips rather well.

They are a bit bouncy when the back is empty because the suspension has to be able to cope with everything from a totally empty space without even the weight of the seats, up to 680kg - but although you could never close your eyes and imagine you're in a limo when you drive it around Sheffield, it's fine on actual tarmac roads :)

Mazda Bongo. 8 seats, will sleep 4, ( 2 in the extending roof and 2 on the lay down seats. Rear 6 seats are easy to remove. Electric blinds on the windows. A fantastic vehicle. Had mine nearly seven years now and the owners club is based in Sheffield. Pm me if you want to have a look.