Smith's Field or Smithies Field near Petre Street

fhain29

Hi there I lived on Petre st in the 70's and remember quite a few sweet shops. I lived @ no 32 and there was a shop on the junction of Maxwell street and Petre st so it could have been no 2 Petre st or no 1 maxwell street???????????Then mid way between the the corner shop and the Tailors there was another shop, don't remember the name but it always smelt fusty..............I also remember vaugely the shop on the corner of Petre street and Earldom Street I think it sold wool and kids clothes.

Does anyone rember Ellesmere school?? Loads must have gone but I never really see and mention of it I was aPupil in the early seventies and remember Miss Quebiack she was scotish. miss Gill, the Headteacher,, Miss Weaver, Miss lavender nee miss Jones.And does anyones remember Sutherland Rd baths and Mr Scott or the playground called Wembly????

Hi That sweet shop you are talking about that smelled musty was owned by Mr Bradshaw,Then a little further up on the same side was another shop owned by a lady named Olga,cant even recall what she sold.I lived in the end yard just before Sutherland road,next door at that time was a fish shop.desparately looking for photos of that corner,!!!!

• 7 months later...

RE-smiths field, we used to live on Edgar st, just off petre st,smiths field used to have a smashing cricket pitch we all used to go and watch them play mom,dads kids usually on a sunday,when we kids had had enough we used to go 'uptop' where the garden allotments were and pick blackberries then try to get back before the players retired to the hut to have their tea and cakes if we were lucky we might be able to scrounge a piece of cake or a sandwich,

when we played on the field mostly on the pitch ,the guy who used to roll the pitch to make it nice and flat used to come over the wall from the houses ajoining the pitch possibly Carwood terrace,balling and shouting ,but before he was anywhere near the top of the wall ,we were away ,he had no chance,

My mom also used to send my for six pennorth of mint from the houses on carwood terrace who had long gardens and grew mint,herbs, potatoes ruhbarb,two sticks and a paper of sugar to dip it in on the way home ,LOVELY what more can a lad want ??

ciao, Ian m

Greybeard, the photo's are great, we lived where the tram is on the petre St & Canada St terminus picture for 5 years, before coming to Oz in 1970.

Jack & Elsie owned the beer off shop on the corner of Canada St at that time

& Billy limbs old butchers shop was at the corner of Carwood Rd & Petre St, it was run by Billy's old apprentice Jack when we were there, I never realised that trams ran on there, how did people get to Grimesthorpe if that was the terminus ?

Sounds like a question for you Arthur.

Hi.

The PALFRYMANS had a good looking daughter ,can't remember her name though I know she had lovely blonde hair,her dad was a tall gent with a small black 'tach'.

ciao,Ian m,

I've just found out her name was Fay, These memories of our past are great.

Mr Palfreyman was the one who put me off dummies as a child. When I was little I pointed at them hung behind his counter to my mum and asked for one. He said “You don’t want those – the cats have peed on them.” I never touched one again.

In the sixties we used to use the Palfreymans telephone at the back of their shop in emergencies. This was back in the days when nobody had their own phone. I can remember Mrs Palfreyman coming to our house very late at night to tell us to come to the phone as one of our relatives needed to talk to us urgently. It was the only way they could get in touch with us.

I remember she had a small dog that could tell the difference between margarine and butter – it wouldn’t eat bread and margarine.

The trams ran along Upwell street and Page Hall road off Brightside lane and on to Firth Park.

Hey I can remember the times you are talking abut. I went to hucklow Road School.................but maybe before your time. I worked at ESC if you remember that in 1957.................then i moved on

but I can remember getting on the tram in Sheffield City Centre and then having a long walk home to Shire green.