Tips on speaking in public

If you feel really nervous, self conscious and intimidated, a good tip that is often used, it to imagine your audience naked.

Yeah because there is nothing quite like the embarrassment caused by making a tent in your trousers.

Top tip, where tight boxers (if you're a male).

jb

Maybe having good posture too. I know when I'm trying to speak in public (or if I am being interviewed for public broadcast), I feel as if I cramp up inside. Perhaps to sit or stand up straight, shoulders back, go slowly, all helps.

I guess being interviewed is a different kettle of fish though, because you don't know what's going to be asked, and you have to give a response on the spot etc. Really stuggle with that kind of thing.

hello, as the title says, im going to soon try to speak and sell myself in a room full of strangers.

its not something im used to doing, been a best man a few times and was a nervous wreck. any tips welcome thanks, Andy

What they all said below.

Remember you are talking to people. The way a lot of comedians get the audience on their side is by talking about things we all know about. If you've ever seen Dara O'Brien's sketch on computer gaming and you're a gamer you'll understand.

When I have to talk to a lot of folks I don't know I try and illustrate the main points by using examples of situations they will know and empathise with. It's better to do that than talk a lot of technical detail about subjects they don't know or understand. Some of your audience will have a very short attention span.

Archived