Travel getting to Whitby

Your best option in my view is either:

1) train to York then change to Scarborough train (both hourly) a no restriction rail ticket for an Adult Anytime Return to Scarborough is £42.50

If you are happy to have some restriction and book in advance then it can be done for around £30 = Advance Single Sheffield to York from £7 - Advance single York to Scarborough from £6.50 then the same in reserve.

A half hourly bus service the Arriva 93 from outside Scarborough station goes to Whitby which takes about an hour.

2) Coastliner bus 840/x40 ( Leeds - York - Whitby )do 3 journeys M-S and 2 on Sunday with a journey time around 3 hours 15m

Can i just ask what website did you get your advance train ticket prices from?

Or a train to Scarborough and then the bus to Whitby.

That is the way I go if I'm leaving the car behind.

If you get the good connection at York you can be in Scarborough quicker than you can drive it. Bus to Whitby outside the station, used to be 2 every hour, chance to drop off at Robin Hoods bay if your not in a hurry to reach Whitby.

Could take a bike on the train, cycle route from Scarborough to Whitby much of it along the old railway line, can be muddy out of season but its not hilly.

Archived