Anyone know about TV Satellite?

pearcy2k8

Hi,

I am in a bit of a dilemma. I have got an old sky digital box and an old sky dish and I am wanting to receive Sky's free to air channels but when I have had the aerial connected to the sky box and messed around with the dish for ages I have only got as far as the signal strength going up to as much as half and the signal quality is not even shown and never has.

Now I know I have been facing the aerial in the correct direction and I previously tried the aerial with a free to air box (not Sky) and it worked but I have returned that box now.

Anyone have any ideas? Because I am running out of them.

Thanks,

Jordan.

Hi,

I am in a bit of a dilemma. I have got an old sky digital box and an old sky dish and I am wanting to receive Sky's free to air channels but when I have had the aerial connected to the sky box and messed around with the dish for ages I have only got as far as the signal strength going up to as much as half and the signal quality is not even shown and never has.

Now I know I have been facing the aerial in the correct direction and I previously tried the aerial with a free to air box (not Sky) and it worked but I have returned that box now.

Anyone have any ideas? Because I am running out of them.

Thanks,

Jordan.

Even though it's free to air don't you still need a viewing card to watch Freesat? will this affect it at all?

Even though it's free to air don't you still need a viewing card to watch Freesat? will this affect it at all?

Some channels are free-to-air (FTA) - they can be picked up by any standards compliant reciever, with no encryption; others are free-to-view (FTV) - they're encrypted, but once you get a viewing card (used to be a one off cost of £10), there's no subscription cost.

Freesat (not Freesat from Sky) boxes generally have the viewing card built in so users don't need to worry about it.

Some channels are free-to-air (FTA) - they can be picked up by any standards compliant reciever, with no encryption; others are free-to-view (FTV) - they're encrypted, but once you get a viewing card (used to be a one off cost of £10), there's no subscription cost.

Freesat (not Freesat from Sky) boxes generally have the viewing card built in so users don't need to worry about it.

There's no 'viewing card' built into Freesat boxes. All the channels that the Freesat box can receive are Free to Air i.e. not encrypted/scrambled. There are very few channels left which are Free to View (i.e. are encrypted/scrambled) which need a viewing card in a Sky box to receive them. Sky 3 may be the only one left. Some of the 5 and ITV regions were FTV until they recently moved satellites. You may still need a card to get the ITV1 region set on 103. You used to, but things may have changed.

Sounds like the OP needs to borrow another box to confirm whether it is his box or dish that is not working correctly. Most aerial installers will be able to align the dish for you.

You can get freesat with a card slot, you purchase a card (one off) and that de-crypts the regional channels like BBC and Channel 5 etc...

Just like doing it with an old sky box, a one off purchase (I think it's £40) gets you a card to stick in the sky box, which decrypts the channels...

just call sky customer service and they'll tell you this..

Try fresh cable from the dish to the receiver.

You said you have an "old" sky box, how old?

I've seen instances where water has got into the cable and caused signal loss.

• 3 weeks later...

Right I tried the Sky Digital Box at my dads and it works so there is nothing wrong with the box.

My theory of what has happened is that the Sky Digital box was installed at Chesterfield so I am thinking that the settings are different to the Sheffield satellite transmitters, that's only thing I can think of anyway. I am now debating whether to buy a freesat box (because there is no guarantee that will work) or put up with the annoying breaking up pictures from freeview.

you need to get a satellite meter youve little chance of setting a dish up without one

You do not really need a satellite meter as long as you know where abouts to point the dish (looking at your neighbours dish for example) then once you have the signal quality then you can screw in the dish and turn it side to side to get the maximum signal strength. I just think them satellite meters are a waste of time and money to be fair unless you live in an area without any neighbours.

Right I tried the Sky Digital Box at my dads and it works so there is nothing wrong with the box.

My theory of what has happened is that the Sky Digital box was installed at Chesterfield so I am thinking that the settings are different to the Sheffield satellite transmitters, that's only thing I can think of anyway. I am now debating whether to buy a freesat box (because there is no guarantee that will work) or put up with the annoying breaking up pictures from freeview.

Its the same satellite broadcasting to both Sheffield and Chesterfield.

Archived