Charlie selling veg from cart in 60's S5 area

CrazyDazy

I don't remember Charlie, we moved away from the Cross in 57, but i do remember a guy called Bradshaw, who sold fruit and veggies from the back of a lorry in the mid 50s. Went to Southey Green School with his 2 sons, Peter and Roger (if I remember well). We all lived on Murdoch Rd.

Old charlie and his horse used to come into Deerslands Mount every friday evening in the warmer months sold fruit and veg and every time his horse dropped a load of "manure" it was a race between the kids as to who could scoop it up first and it went straight onto the rhubarb and strawberries. We also had the rag man who would give you a live chicken for any rags. We also had the knocker up with his long pole and back in the late 40`s we even had the old lamp lighter.

Does anyone remember a guy called Charlie who used to sell fruit and veg from a horse and cart in the sixties, in and around Parson Cross?

Any info on him at all would be good.

hiya just read your letter and it brought back some memories for me, i remember one called harry selling friut and veg from a hand cart on crossburgess st in the 40s can't remember his surname, and the name billy bushell ( billy bush ) another name that comes to mind,

Archived