'The Failure of Capitalist Production', NY Professor visits Shef

His assumptions about how the fall in profitability and that Marx’s crisis theory can explain the events causing the recession are wrong. Not only wrong but not even recognised by economists.

On of the main things that has caused this recession is the fall in jobs due to corporate greed by replacing workers with modern technology such as computers and computer aided manufacturing. Although in its infancy the impact of computing was talked about nobody took into account the effect it would have on the workforce. What was talked about was how it would enable us all to have more leisure time. In reality all that happened was that companies and shareholders made greater profits while neglecting the fact that it was at the expense of the workers.

The more unemployed or low waged people there are the less the economy will grow. The more people are hooked into a big debt such as a mortgage the less they will have to spend. All part and parcel of the impact of computers which Marx could not have accounted for.

My partner and I would like to attend this, but we're not on Facebook- is there another way of registering our interest or can we just turn up? Is there an entrance fee?

Also, Epiphany, if you're planning on going would you like to join us and maybe go for a beer or coffee afterwards? Anyone else who's going would be welcome to join us of course!

Maybe the Proff. should go to China and lecture them on the failure of capitalist production.

They may just decide to go back to Communism as it was such a roaring success :hihi:

Seriously, anyone attending this lecture is expecting to get exactly what out of it ?

Maybe the Proff. should go to China and lecture them on the failure of capitalist production.

They may just decide to go back to Communism as it was such a roaring success :hihi:

Seriously, anyone attending this lecture is expecting to get exactly what out of it ?

I'm sure many chinese look back on the happy days when mould grown on human urine was one of the main food sources for the peasantry under Mao with a nostalgic tear.

Anyway, the good proff, mindfull of his duty to spread is message to the prolateriat, is offering big pounds off his book at the event. Given that amazon are only knocking 3 quid off the RRP of £60 this could be a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy some marxist drivel and get change from a fifty.

His assumptions about how the fall in profitability and that Marx’s crisis theory can explain the events causing the recession are wrong. Not only wrong but not even recognised by economists.

On of the main things that has caused this recession is the fall in jobs due to corporate greed by replacing workers with modern technology such as computers and computer aided manufacturing. Although in its infancy the impact of computing was talked about nobody took into account the effect it would have on the workforce. What was talked about was how it would enable us all to have more leisure time. In reality all that happened was that companies and shareholders made greater profits while neglecting the fact that it was at the expense of the workers.

The more unemployed or low waged people there are the less the economy will grow. The more people are hooked into a big debt such as a mortgage the less they will have to spend. All part and parcel of the impact of computers which Marx could not have accounted for.

I am one of those people who helped create the automation that cost some jobs. I was a field engineer working on steel processes in Sheffield and other plants around the world. For many years I worked closely with the paper industry. This is a process that is difficult to control without a computer, and in fact did not cause a drop in employment for the operators, it just made their jobs easier and safer, as well as giving them a bigger share of the profits. Cars are better made today thanks to automation. Automation doesn't come cheap, and a lot of people work in the plants that create it. The point is if you tried to compete

without it you'd lose. It's been around for quite a long time, long enough for people to retrain in other fields. Being unskilled is not an option today.

I'm sure many chinese look back on the happy days when mould grown on human urine was one of the main food sources for the peasantry under Mao with a nostalgic tear.

Anyway, the good proff, mindfull of his duty to spread is message to the prolateriat, is offering big pounds off his book at the event. Given that amazon are only knocking 3 quid off the RRP of £60 this could be a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy some marxist drivel and get change from a fifty.

I have to wonder what this professor teaches at PACE university in NY.

If I were a parent paying for my kid's education at that place I'd hate the thought he or she was wasting time attending any of his lectures

I have heard that colleges in NY are required to have a token reactionary on the teaching staff in order to comply with "balance and fairness" :hihi:

I think we're both glad you're not my parent.

At the very least, I'd say a preliminary understanding of the breadth and impact of marxist thought and analysis would be a prerequisite for studying any of the humanities, particularly History, Economics, Politics and Philosophy.

It's partially absent in this thread.

So many people see the word "Marx" and suffer the intellectual equivalent of anaphylactic shock [probably without realising that they hold 'marxist' viewpoints themselves].

It would be funny if it wasn't so embarrassing.

Archived