'The Failure of Capitalist Production', NY Professor visits Shef

I think that when people read that companies are in fact making record profits it will be hard to convince them that there is "a declining rate of profit generally." Despite the recent economic crisis profits are at a high and the various stock market indexes reflect that. They may have dipped but even despite of that dip they are all at record highs.

You have still failed to convince me that Marxist philosophy's are relevant in a modern computer controlled age.

I will read the book fully when the declining rate of profit on selling it comes down, other than that I go by the various books reviews.

I would think that increasing profit can be a bit of a misnomer, you'd ideally want to be looking at profits relative the past and also not just looking at proft as a bottom line. You would want to include other factors such as the distribution of those profits and also non tangible aspects such as the happyness and satisfaction of the people.

oh my dear God i've just lost a huge response to fake which took me over an hour to write! very, very gutted.

it would be good to see you down there though if you can make it! hopefully some of these questions can be raised properly! Andrew will no doubt give you a better debate than me anyway.

Presumably your knowledge of philosophy is only matched by your knowledge of Marx.

I never read Das Kapital or know nothing of Marx since it was a subject that I found irrelevent to my life and since Marxism is as dead as the Latin language my indifference was well justified.

I did see Karl's tomb in Highgate cemetery years ago. A person's memorial speaks much about them. Judging from the size of his tomb I would say the man was possessed by a sizeable ego :hihi:

I never read Das Kapital or know nothing of Marx since it was a subject that I found irrelevent to my life and since Marxism is as dead as the Latin language my indifference was well justified.

I did see Karl's tomb in Highgate cemetery years ago. A person's memorial speaks much about them. Judging from the size of his tomb I would say the man was possessed by a sizeable ego :hihi:

Oh, so you know about his memorial then.

He paid for it and specified it, did he?

I never read Das Kapital or know nothing of Marx since it was a subject that I found irrelevent to my life ...

"... but I'm happy to dismiss it all without any further thought."

I did see Karl's tomb in Highgate cemetery [...] Judging from the size of his tomb I would say the man was possessed by a sizeable ego

That monstrosity was built for him by the Communist Party.

Russell's criticism of Communism is quite good, and may explain some points as to why the USSR was not quite what Marx had in mind. "Why I am Not a Communist" by Betrand Russell (1956).

I'm very surprised you don't know anything about Marx or Marxism what with you being a Vietnam veteran. Don't you remember this bloke? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ho_Chi_Minh

I'm very surprised you don't know anything about Marx or Marxism what with you being a Vietnam veteran. Don't you remember this bloke? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ho_Chi_Minh

Never had the pleasure of meeting Ho and the Marine's had no program to orientate us to the beliefs and learnings of our foes.

I did see some examples of their handywork here and there along the way which is better I dont go into.

Archived