'The Failure of Capitalist Production', NY Professor visits Shef

What do you think they should retrain as?

Serious question, I'd like to know what you think.

You have to look at what fields of opportunity are going to be avaiable in the long term. In this country, there's an ongoing need for medical techs including registered nurses. Good electricians, plumbers, carpenters, roofers etc. will usually find work with small contractors or on their own if the price is right. Seasonal work mowing lawns, shoveling snow, picking up leaves, lifesaving.THese kind of jobs don't offer much in long term security, but they get you off the unemployment rolls for a while.

I think that when people read that companies are in fact making record profits it will be hard to convince them that there is "a declining rate of profit generally." Despite the recent economic crisis profits are at a high and the various stock market indexes reflect that. They may have dipped but even despite of that dip they are all at record highs.

You have still failed to convince me that Marxist philosophy's are relevant in a modern computer controlled age.

I will read the book fully when the declining rate of profit on selling it comes down, other than that I go by the various books reviews.

PS I should add that I will try and attend anyway.

Quite right.

Take an American Company that manufactures shoes. The average worker in that company earns say 19 dollars an hour. The company also pays into Social Security for that employee plus a dental and health plan so there's the additonal expense involved.

The shoes retail for around 75 dollars a pair.

Then the company close down their American operations and relocate to China. They pay the Chinesw worker 4 dollars an hour and the retirement, medical and dental plans no longer exist. The shoes still retail for 75 dollars a pair in the US however. No matter how cheap the foreign labour the good old American consumer still pays the same price.

This is story that has happened a thousand times over the past two decades. Yes indeed profits have never been higher

Intellectuals wern't tolerated in societies that claimed to be Marxist. They were shipped to the salt mines.

Be happy you live in a capitalist western society :D

Why don't you do some research on why Marxism actually failed? I think you'd be unpleasantly surprised.

profits have never been higher, for an ever-decreasing number of businesses...

same happened in the Great Depression. some companies made a killing. the largest companies, in fact, made a killing.

none of which disproves anything which has been put out here on the table for discussion!

You have to look at what fields of opportunity are going to be avaiable in the long term. In this country, there's an ongoing need for medical techs including registered nurses. Good electricians, plumbers, carpenters, roofers etc. will usually find work with small contractors or on their own if the price is right. Seasonal work mowing lawns, shoveling snow, picking up leaves, lifesaving.THese kind of jobs don't offer much in long term security, but they get you off the unemployment rolls for a while.

Wow! What are you trying to do? Put the fear of death into the unemployed?

You're talking loss of dole benefits here guy :D

In the UK unemployment benefits have no set termination date, or so I've heard.

Put a man on such a welfare system and eventually his ambition to seek and find work will eventually disappear.

A better system is to establish the unemployemnt benefit for a set date perhaps six months. At the end of that six months that person must produce evidence that he/she has actively sought employment and at the same time looked into attending classes for several hours a week in courses that would give them basic training in trades of their choice. Evening classes are cheap enough and offer a variety of new sources of learning I learned much of the auto mechnical trade over a couple of years at evening school and after working 8-9 hour days. If the construction industry had taken a nose dive I figured I would have something else to fall back on to keep a roof over our heads.

Time better spent than reading and studying Marxism

Wow! What are you trying to do? Put the fear of death into the unemployed?

You're talking loss of dole benefits here guy :D

In the UK unemployment benefits have no set termination date, or so I've heard.

Put a man on such a welfare system and eventually his ambition to seek and find work will eventually disappear.

A better system is to establish the unemployemnt benefit for a set date perhaps six months. At the end of that six months that person must produce evidence that he/she has actively sought employment and at the same time looked into attending classes for several hours a week in courses that would give them basic training in trades of their choice. Evening classes are cheap enough and offer a variety of new sources of learning I learned much of the auto mechnical trade over a couple of years at evening school and after working 8-9 hour days. If the construction industry had taken a nose dive I figured I would have something else to fall back on to keep a roof over our heads.

Time better spent than reading and studying Marxism

I think that you have to produce evidence that you're looking for work from day one here in the UK.

I think that you have to produce evidence that you're looking for work from day one here in the UK.

But is it abused by the work shy? They should know that unemployment benefits are not a lifetime right and that after six months these benefits could be withdrawn

Archived