Do feminists ever find true love?

That's exactly what I was alluding to in my own post - I had my parents in mind as it happens - and the notion that love isn't about all the fluffy, giddy stuff (lovely though it may be). It's expressed in actions, the everyday things, the hard times, the shared values, the compromising and forgiving. It's the ability to endure and to take the harder road when it needs to be taken, even when there's another route that offers a swifter journey or a better view.

I believe I've found the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with - we're marrying later this year. True love? I think so, but ask us again in thirty years time.

Congratulations! I am sure that you will weather all that life throws at you.

I have been mulling over this thread for a while and despite my male idiosyncracies, I consider my self to be a feminist. I read the Female Eunoch when I was a teen and I looked out for Poly Tonybee in the Guardian. I still consider that society favours penises.

It is a wise man who understands that being with, and being accepted by, a woman who has chosen to be with you knocks the spots off being with someone who feels that they have to be with you because they feel that they need someone else to complete them.

My OH knows that I'm with him because I choose to be with him. I existed before we were a couple and I'd exist perfectly well without him too, therefore it is a compliment that I choose instead to share my life, my home and my dreams with him.

Does that make me a feminist? I do hope so.

On a serious note, my defintion of 'true love' is being in love, loving, liking and respecting the person in question. To make it functional and long term, in my view, you need all of those 'ingredients', otherwise it won't last once the honeymoon phase is over and the relationship starts to mature. I've been in love in the past and not actually liked the man in question, as a person, so that failed. I've also loved someone a lot but was not in love with him, that also failed. I would say to anyone, as yourself the following: take sex out of the equation and would you actually be friends with this person? If the answer is 'no', then you're in the wrong relationship.

Archived