Job in Dubai - Should I take it or not?

I am in the lettings trade and have been offered a commission only job in Dubai starting in April.

The commission rate is 50% and on average there staff earning £50/60k per annum tax free. :love:

I have a fiance and a young son. They would not be able to join me until July though so it would mean three months on my own :(

Schools cost around £2k per quarter, food is about the price as the UK and petrol is about half as much. Booze is very expensive but I'm not a big drinker these days anyway.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I don't know what to do.

:help:

Seriously I would take it. You will enjoy life there much more than here.

If you do not like it, you can always come back! Remember it's tax free there. Also the food isn't that expensive.

The most expensive thing in Dubai is accommodation.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Its up to you.

Moving abroad has its trials and tribulations and not everyone likes it. Theres the homesickness and cultural differences, and just because your are from X does not mean you are wanted/welcome. Also, when the rose coloured glasses come off, things can feel like they are coming crashing down - HARD. Working abroad isnt easy either.

Have you visited Dubai before? If not, I'd suggest a visit before making the move over.

Good luck in whatever you do.

My Bothers been working in Dubai for the last 9 years and he loves it,his wife and daughter came back so my niece could go to uni in uk,it works for them,hes over maybe 5 times a year and they go over maybe 3 or 4 hes looking to retire at 60,I have been to Dubai and its a fab place and he has no regrets moving there.

I assume you have been to make a comment like that?

Did you have a bad experience?

No I haven't been, I have family that have been. Their laws and culture would not suit me and theres no way I would go there to live. I take it I am not allowed that opinion though?

Add to that a climate I would loathe and the fact that is seems to be essentially a desert and shopping malls I am very confident in my opinion.

I am in the lettings trade and have been offered a commission only job in Dubai starting in April.

The commission rate is 50% and on average there staff earning £50/60k per annum tax free. :love:

I have a fiance and a young son. They would not be able to join me until July though so it would mean three months on my own :(

Schools cost around £2k per quarter, food is about the price as the UK and petrol is about half as much. Booze is very expensive but I'm not a big drinker these days anyway.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I don't know what to do.

:help:

I'd do some serious research into the property market out there. If you're on commision only you will have no guarenteed income and while people may have been making 50/60K on average thats in the past, if the rental market dries up you may find yourself struggling to pay your own rent. Which as Dubai criminalises defaults on payments could land you in jail, plus you are not allowed to leave the country until all debts have been paid off.

Worst case scenario and all that but best to go into these things being aware of what the potential downsides are.

Good luck with it.

Archived