Job in Dubai - Should I take it or not?

Erm odd. Is it signed by Chief Olobango ?

The concern you should add to that list is the state of the property market in Dubai. If they are only offering commission only it suggests things might be very slow. There is a massive oversupply of accomodation.

Try this link and there's plenty more where that came from

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2011/07/20/158540.html

Remember Dubai is a police state and they don't take kindly to foreigners who aren't stinking rich.

What they're doing/investing:

1. Visa's and all other paperwork

2. Flights and two weeks rent (re payable after 6 months)

3. Car for two weeks (re payable after 6 months)

They have recommended I have at least £4k to take with me to tide me over until I start earning. None of this £4k is given to the company and to be fair to them they will not employ me unless I provide proof that I have the cash in my account.

They seem like a fairly big deal and I have spoken to some of their staff who seem happy and confirm they are earning good money.

Obviously all of the process so far has been done over the phone.

My concerns are:

1. Commision only - although the rate is very high there is NO safety next should I struggle to settle or to hit targets.

2. The country - I have been to Dubai airport (stopover to Sri Lanka) but I really don't know whether I'll like it or not and again as I'm not earning a salary if this starts to affect my work I'll be in bother.

3. My partner and son - I really don't know how being away from them for 3 months will go. We're a very tight and happy little unit and it will be very difficult for all of us.

4. The weather - Great at the moment as it's winter (around 27c) but in the summer it'll be 40c to 50c which I may struggle to adapt to.

I'm really torn. 50/50.

Are you already an estate agent over here ? Are you a good, nay, excellent, estate agent over here ? I'm guessing your competitors both at your firm and others will have much more experience than you, ergo you'll get hammered. On commission only, in a falling (?) Market you could get a kicking unless you are good. You'll need a month minimum to pick up local knowledge.

You can make big bucks in the middle east but I don't think this is it.

I wouldn't.

Too hot

2 years too long - your kid is only going to be small once but you need to stay that long for it to be tax free.

Problems re: partner but not married

Commission only when accommodation is so expensive is risky

If the market is flat as people say, this sounds like a way to get you to pay at least £4k in rent ....

Dull place to live

Police state

Really, really hot

I remember a story of a woman living in her car at the airport for ages because her husband was in debt and got put in prison with their passports confiscated.This is all i could find though...

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

On the plus side i lived abroad for 4 years and can`t wait to get away from Sheffield again!!.It really is depressing when you have lived in a warm climate.

I would say go for it but be very careful of a commission only job.One bad month and it could be all over.

Where's the adventure spirit in todays young people? My daughter has lived in Dubai for 9 years and I've been out there 12 times. You don't get a second chance at life so go for it. I love it. The weather is great and the standard of living amazing. There is so much to do and to see not to mention the amazing places to go for weekends like Abu Dhabi, Hatta, Muscat and Babel Sham.The nurseries and schools are really good. Nothing lasts for ever in this life and you will one day bitterly regret not taking the chance while you had it.

One good web site is ExPat mums.

I wouldn't.

Too hot

2 years too long - your kid is only going to be small once but you need to stay that long for it to be tax free.

Problems re: partner but not married

Commission only when accommodation is so expensive is risky

If the market is flat as people say, this sounds like a way to get you to pay at least £4k in rent ....

Dull place to live

Police state

Really, really hot

Mellors gonna get you now!

Where's the adventure spirit in todays young people? My daughter has lived in Dubai for 9 years and I've been out there 12 times. You don't get a second chance at life so go for it. I love it. The weather is great and the standard of living amazing. There is so much to do and to see not to mention the amazing places to go for weekends like Abu Dhabi, Hatta, Muscat and Babel Sham.The nurseries and schools are really good. Nothing lasts for ever in this life and you will one day bitterly regret not taking the chance while you had it.

One good web site is ExPat mums.

Theres nothing wrong with adventure, but you want to make sure youre doing it on the up and up. Get on the wrong side of the local government and it could end up VERY ugly. Unnecessary stress. Also, a lot of new immigrants may not be entitled to any safety nets that's full time residents and citizens are entitled unless they've been living there for a minimum amount of time. I think the advice for the OP, for the most part, has been spot on.

I've lived in 3 different countries so far, and its not an easy thing to go through. For me, all we're English speaking and cultures mostly the same, but its still been a hard adjustment and I knew what I was getting into each and every time. Nothing worse than breaking down in the supermarket over trying to figure out where stuff is kept and having to go in circles to get to it.

People still need places to live. You are working on the lettings side so as Dubai picks up again and people move back out it could be lucrative. I certainly would not want to be selling property over there at the moment but letting it might not be so bad.

On the flip side, all the estate agents who were selling might have moved into the lettings side of things as nobody is buying anything. If that is true, they would know the place, the people, the buildings, the contacts. Hard thing to be up against.

I would want to speak to people currently working out there if I was you.

Archived