Job in Dubai - Should I take it or not?

ahh so you have to go somewhere before you can decide whether you want to go there! Thats a bit backward.

We aren't talking about me thinking their national dish sounds horrible here, there are some pretty fundamental culture clashes, particularly with regards to women, between our two cultures. I have heard that dubai is more progressive than many of the places nearby but thats not good enough to encourage me to visit. In fact I have never heard of anything that would make me want to go there even ignoring the culture clash. A desert, hotels, shopping YAWWN!

I want to go nearly everywhere during my life, dubai is one of the few places I would actively avoid. But then there are many people that would not have any interest in going to Hungary or Mongolia!

All I said was "what does your fiancee think?":roll:

Agree with all you say- haven't been there because there is nothing of interest to me in going there.......

I once sat opposite a guy coming back from London on the train who waxed lyrical about it - it sounded horrendous to me- all shopping malls , huge hotels and you not even being allowed to walk to the swimming pool "you had to go in a cart".

r

Agree with all you say- haven't been there because there is nothing of interest to me in going there.......

I once sat opposite a guy coming back from London on the train who waxed lyrical about it - it sounded horrendous to me- all shopping malls , huge hotels and you not even being allowed to walk to the swimming pool "you had to go in a cart".

r

I know, I don't understand the problem with not wanting to go to a certain place without having been there:huh: My partners family have moved somewhere around those parts and they love it but when they tell me about it I think "that sounds horrible". I don't understand why people get offended when someones taste is different.

They have real trouble getting alcohol, you have to have a licence to buy it and you aren't allowed to share it. They have kids so the school system wins obviously! The thing is they love nothing better than sitting by the pool sunbathing and shopping. It sounds like my idea of hell:( I think sitting by the pool on holiday abroad is a waste of my life, shopping in any country is so dull! I am also a massive fan of cool weather and green scenery.

And then there are the legal/cultural differences. Theres no denying that its totally different to our legal system/culture.

If that makes me backward then I am afraid I will have to stay backward.

To be honest many of the same issues would make me actively avoid Vegas! Expensive and dull is what it sounds to me! Although the desert nearby was rather pretty (went to new mexico with work) its just not enough to make me want to go.

I know, I don't understand the problem with not wanting to go to a certain place without having been there:huh: My partners family have moved somewhere around those parts and they love it but when they tell me about it I think "that sounds horrible". I don't understand why people get offended when someones taste is different.

They have real trouble getting alcohol, you have to have a licence to buy it and you aren't allowed to share it. They have kids so the school system wins obviously! The thing is they love nothing better than sitting by the pool sunbathing and shopping. It sounds like my idea of hell:( I think sitting by the pool on holiday abroad is a waste of my life, shopping in any country is so dull! I am also a massive fan of cool weather and green scenery.

And then there are the legal/cultural differences. Theres no denying that its totally different to our legal system/culture.

If that makes me backward then I am afraid I will have to stay backward.

To be honest many of the same issues would make me actively avoid Vegas! Expensive and dull is what it sounds to me! Although the desert nearby was rather pretty (went to new mexico with work) its just not enough to make me want to go.

Oh my gosh - Vegas..........that is one of the other places you would seriously have to pay me to visit!

Along with Blackpool.

I remember a story of a woman living in her car at the airport for ages because her husband was in debt and got put in prison with their passports confiscated.This is all i could find though...

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

That article is by Johann Hari, so is almost certainly fiction and fact inter-twined.

Archived