Getting passport in married name before wedding

Hi everyone! I get married in October and currently do not have a passport so we have decided to book travel in my new married name and apply for a passport in my new name too - I have been on the passport website and you can do this by getting your registrar to sign a form confirming your wedding date.

I just wanted to know if any one had done this before and if so did everything go smoothly? I've asked the travel agent and they were a bit stumped and didnt know of anyone who had done it. Any success stories are greatly received!

Thanks, Caroline xx

IPS can change the name on your passport up to three months before the ceremony. They will cancel your old passport and issue you a new one. But the new passport is 'postdated'. This means you cannot use it before the day of the ceremony. Some countries will not issue visas for postdated passports. You should check with the consulate of the country concerned.

Didn't know that could be done.

So long as the ticket and passport names match it will all be fine.

I'm surprised they'll issue a passport before you're married though, you could cancel the whole thing and end up with a passport in a fake name!

Lol well it does say on this form that 'if the marriage does not go ahead you must return the passport to them with a full letter of reason'. That is exactly something you would feel like doing if your wedding had just gone down the pan!

Thank you though, that has put my mind at rest. I'm going to apply for the passport as early as possible (has to be no earlier than 3 months before wedding) so that if there are any problems I have time to sort them.

xx

The other way, of course, is to change your name by deed ahead of your wedding and then you can apply for your passport in your new name whenever you want :)

That's the way I chose, because my (now ex-)husband was determined that we would travel in married names, but his divorce from his previous wife didn't come through in time for me to be able to apply for a passport in my married name by the traditional route.

It only cost £50 to change my name by deed and have it witnessed by a solicitor though, so that was a lateral thinking solution to having tickets in my married name and a passport in my maiden name.

You can get a passport in your married name shortly before the wedding with confirmation from the registrar that you're booked in for the ceremony. The details of what you need to do are on this link :)

Yes what a fab idea :love: The OP had already confirmed that it was possible and she knew exactly how to apply ;) Good luck on your wedding :)

Yes what a fab idea :love: The OP had already confirmed that it was possible and she knew exactly how to apply ;) Good luck on your wedding :)

Yey! Thanks guys I feel so much better about it all now!

Thanks Ceecee, I can't wait now! Seems like we have been waiting forever!xxxx

Archived