Is this genuine or is it 'Vanity Publishing'?

Tyranna

Just a really quick observation on something that I've recently come across. I signed up for the free advice from Authorhouse and their 'Publishing Consultancy', and they have sent me details of info about how to publish your own books, see link at: http://www.authorhouse.co.uk/uploadedFiles/Authorhouse_UK_Writers_Guide_to_Book_Publishing.pdf

One of their Publishing Consultants rang me up today and asked me a number of wuestions about the book I am currently writing; I felt that the consultant was a bit pushy, although so far the service appears to be helpful.

anyone else tried 'Authorhouse'? does anyone else think it is a good deal? My main concern is that it somehow resembles vanity publishing in that many of the books featured on its 'published works' lists appear to be books of the 'Self Help' kind (ugh) and virtually no real novels/crime/thrillers like the book I am writing.

Does anyone else have any advice of whether or not to find Authorhouse a genuine help? I'm also in touch with many other publishers, many of whom appear to be much more serious about what they can and cant publish, so I am definitely keeping my options open...:love:

Are you a member of this place? If not, I recommend you sign up and do a bit of searching and see if the company pops up.

Also, have a look at Writer Beware (that link has some info about Authourhouse).

ETA: Print-on-demand could indeed be described as 'vanity publishing' (you pay to get your book published, without the need for intervention from a 'traditional' publisher and/or agent who might deem your book worthy of publishing). It doesn't necessarily follow that print-on-demand companies are scams.

I've not heard of Authorhouse but I'm very suspicious of anywhere you have to pay to get your book published.

If you want to self publish you can do it for free on Amazon in Ebook format. A lot of people have kindles and some authors are making some real money. Try googling for kindleboards - a forum used by a lot of self published authors.

If you want your book in print I would try sending it to agents or independent publishers before trying self publishing.

This is a good place to start looking for reputable agents and publishers: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Writers-Artists-Yearbook-2012/dp/1408135809/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330530852&sr=8-1

From the PDF they aren't publishers, they are consultants to self-publishers and seem quite upfront about it.

Whether you consider self-publishing hard copies to be vanity publishing or not rather depends on how many boxes of your books you expect to have in your cellar -v- how many you give away to people you get chatting to in coffee shops.

Pushing your manuscript to Kindle with an option for print on demand is the simplest option. Your marketing expertise (not your writing talent) is the biggest factor in whether it will sell.

Archived