How to get a job after being at Hallam Uni?

Hmmm, maybe it's industry specific, they certainly don't trawl it looking for IT graduates, simply because most roles they advertise require experience in addition to qualifications.

Most Science courses when I was studying were sandwich courses so graduates had worked a year in a job or two stints of six months.

Most Science courses when I was studying were sandwich courses so graduates had worked a year in a job or two stints of six months.

I did an IT sandwich courses though these days less and less businesses are employing graduates or reducing their intake. Seems like either you have to know someone or make sure you stand out.

Shall try those sites that you've suggested! they look promising. never thought about twitter and following companies. I'm trying to find more graduate jobs and the sort. Though reading up, monster seems too big and more of a site for an everyday job.

Looked on wiki jobs and they seem to have a lots of information about past experience of getting through to an interview which is helpful. just needing that first contact now. Well i've signed up to monster and mysheffieldjobs

Though i feel that this site "www.weconnectstudents.com" is aimed more towards students which is what i am, will just have to see what happens.

Cheers.

Adam - from experience I think a lot of graduates make the mistake of looking for graduate jobs. When I started work in the early 1980s I used to train graduate students while they were working for my employer. I was only studying my ONC and HNC day release at that time. I gained my qualifications then decided to slightly change career (still the same industry) at the age of thirty. When I graduated as a mature student I was willing to apply for jobs that new graduates though beneath them. I got promoted after eighteen months and the agiain eighteen months later. Withing four years I moved employers and had more than doubled my salary. In less than eight years I was running my own business.

I'm trying to explain that you have to look beyond the first job and see it as part of a grand plan for your future career. While I was studying as a mature student I did a lot of temp jobs just to increase my experience in different parts of the industry I worked in.

If you need to be earning whilst you are looking, consider the security Industry, I have worked with a number of people who have qualified and had to wait to get the career they really want.

Its not about "bouncing" or anything like that but you can earn decent money.

Give Mick Booth or Laurence Youell a ring on 01709 590491, They are both graduates and will be happy to talk to you.

Iam working for a new on-line employment service based in Sheffield called jobs4everyone.

If you are looking to do any kind of work in the meantime try registering on there. All you need to do is complete a user profile stating what type of jiobs you are looking for and you will be automatically matched to those jobs that meet your criteria.

There is an assortment of vacancies currently on there, the majority of which are Sheffield / South Yorkshire based

Hope this helps

Iam working for a new on-line employment service based in Sheffield called jobs4everyone.

If you are looking to do any kind of work in the meantime try registering on there. All you need to do is complete a user profile stating what type of jiobs you are looking for and you will be automatically matched to those jobs that meet your criteria.

There is an assortment of vacancies currently on there, the majority of which are Sheffield / South Yorkshire based

Hope this helps

gd100 thanks for the link, have had a look and see what comes my way.

Chez2 - I am applying everywhere, but yes I do agree in what you are saying, looking for just graduate jobs is stupid and you should look else where, as experience is worth more than anything these days. It's hard as you would have thought Universities would offer more guidance towards helping you become employed.

Though I am strong minded and happy to take it into my control where I can find a job that suits me rather than being drip fed information and being "forced" into a job.

Its good that experienced people like yourselves are welling to provide information and suggestions.

Thanks

Archived