Car Won't Start - What Next?

Pilon

if its petrol take a spark plug lead off, place a screwdiver in the end and earth it to the engine block, turn car over if it sparks then its a fuel problem, either your out of petrol or the fuel pump is not working. check fuse, if there is no spark, the imobilizer system has not turned on for whatever reason, might be fob, or onboard black box, try and replace battery in fob and follow keycode instructions, you might have to search for your model of car in the net for that.

If the engine is cranking over fine then how can battery be flat :suspect:

You could always take a spark plug out, touch it to metal and get someone to crank it and look for a spark, if there int one then theres your answer. If there is one then only next thing to do is take it to a garage and get it plugged into diagnostics

Only trouble with modern cars, can't get your hands dirty no more, have to let a computer do the work.

It could be anything, there's loads of sensors on modern cars that could cause it not to start, mine wouldn't start one day last year, the AA man couldn't find out why, all he could say was there's a sensor not working but couldn't say which one. Turned out to be the crank sensor, I found that out myself by reading forums, mines a Nissan.

If its cranking but not starting then its an ignition, fuelling or timing problem, first thing I'd do is take out the spark plugs and check for a spark. If there's a spark, you then need to check fuel is getting to the engine, if fuel supply is ok then it's possibly a timing issue, or as said the immobiliser has failed.

If it's not an auto, get a push or aim downhill, put in 2nd gear, with clutch down start rolling, build up a bit of speed, quickly realise the clutch, the car should jurk like your about to stall so drop the clutch but give it full on the throttle. Car will be ok to get you home.

If it's not an auto, get a push or aim downhill, put in 2nd gear, with clutch down start rolling, build up a bit of speed, quickly realise the clutch, the car should jurk like your about to stall so drop the clutch but give it full on the throttle. Car will be ok to get you home.

You mean bump start it :hihi:

So, my car (2006 Clio) won't start. The engine cranks over, but it simply won't kick in. Not had any problems before, and it's my first car, so not sure what to do next...

I'm not with the AA, so what would be my next step in getting sorted...? It's currently parked outside my house.

Hi there give me a call and i will pop around and take a look and put it on the computer and find the problem.

Thanks

Archived