Car Won't Start - What Next?

Pilon

if its petrol take a spark plug lead off, place a screwdiver in the end and earth it to the engine block, turn car over if it sparks then its a fuel problem, either your out of petrol or the fuel pump is not working. check fuse, if there is no spark, the imobilizer system has not turned on for whatever reason, might be fob, or onboard black box, try and replace battery in fob and follow keycode instructions, you might have to search for your model of car in the net for that.

If the engine is cranking over fine then how can battery be flat :suspect:

You could always take a spark plug out, touch it to metal and get someone to crank it and look for a spark, if there int one then theres your answer. If there is one then only next thing to do is take it to a garage and get it plugged into diagnostics

Only trouble with modern cars, can't get your hands dirty no more, have to let a computer do the work.

Just don't be touching the car bodywork whilst you've got hold of a HT lead. 20,000+ volts gives you a bit of a jump. You'll know that there's a spark though.

follow the link it may be for older version clio but still should apply and a few good answers but te favourite seems to be to change the TDC sensor, alos if you have spare key for it try using that as they can apparantly forget the code.... try all the free stuff first before you egt someone to come and charge you to find the fault, if none of above seem to work ask the guys on the renault forum as they will be able to point you to the fault

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-3767.html

so, my car (2006 clio) won't start. The engine cranks over, but it simply won't kick in. Not had any problems before, and it's my first car, so not sure what to do next...

I'm not with the aa, so what would be my next step in getting sorted...? It's currently parked outside my house.

buy a new one,lol

sounds like it could be your immobilizer sensor, ifs its turning over but wont start thats your fault, its common, you need a new sensor.

You're right, my Clio does the same every now & then. It seems to solve the problem by pressing the key button whilst in the ignition.

if you have the tools take your spark plugs out to see if they are ot coked up and there is a small gap betweenwhere the contacts are, but you could try bump starting it you if you dont know how to do it. sit in the diving seat make sure you have a couple or 3 mates ready, then switch the ignitin on put it in 2nd gear take the hand break off put the clutch peddle down ask your friends unless your on a hill let them puch the car when you have a bit of speed not much, take your foot of the clutch if the nge fires up whitch hopefully it will keep it running stood still and run it for about 10 minutes or have a run round. before you do that wait till its dark or get someone to stand in front of your car you put the head lights on then try and start the engine if your lights go off of dim it will be a faulty battery. try bump starting it first if your parents are in the AA they will come out to it any way good look mate and drive carefully and dont drink or drive steve x

Archived