Len McCluskey, should he be locked up for sedition?

Tony

Len McCluskey  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Len McCluskey

• Lock him up
    • He's bang on

That I couldn't tell you. Sedition has been illegal since at least 1066, under various legal guises - I'd be willing to stake my house that it still is.

It'd get too mixed up with Human Rights. McCluskey has Freedom of Expression and his union has Freedom of Assembly. "Open Rebellion" sounds like a really old political concept.

It'd get too mixed up with Human Rights. McCluskey has Freedom of Expression and his union has Freedom of Assembly.

Human rights doesn't include the right to commit sedition, any more than it includes the right to incite murder.

The legal question would turn on what, exactly, he has said, and since I don't know what he said nor in exactly what context, I'm not going to stick my neck out and say that, based on his actual comments, he should be prosecuted. (In practical terms, unless he's been encouraging people to take up shotguns and march on Westminster to massacre the government, any prosecution is highly unlikely at best.)

Until you find the act where Sedition is a crime then this argument has no basis.

Not true. The argument has a basis if it is a crime, regardless of whether or not I happen to know which particular piece of legislation has made it so.

I couldn't tell you which act made murder a crime, but I'll stake you a million pounds to a penny that it is one.

If we are to stoop to locking up those who express ideas that we find unpalatable, perhaps we are not a fit country to host the Olympics in the first place.

I happen to think that McCluskey has made a brainless statement and I can't see his membership even contemplating going along with it. It would be even more brainless to try to supress his views by imprisoning him.

Until you find the act where Sedition is a crime then this argument has no basis.

What are you basing your legal mastery upon? Wikipedia? Google?

More careful reading of the OP will reveal that it claims no technical basis in law, just for an opinion - should Len McCluskey be locked up for sedition?

Archived