Len McCluskey, should he be locked up for sedition?

Tony

Len McCluskey  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Len McCluskey

• Lock him up
    • He's bang on

That's the point of the thread.

If he really means what he's suggesting, should he be locked up for sedition?

Should he be locked up even if he doesn't mean it?

Weeell...There was this lad, who twitted about bombing an airport not-so-far-from-here in a moment of frustration, and clearly did not mean it by reason of same (lookit! a context! right out the window it flew). Who still ended up in the clink, at very great personal (and tax payers') legal expenses.

So, where the assessment of intent comes into it, there is useful, recent precedent :twisted::D

Well, there was this lad who twitted about bombing an airport not-so-far-from-here, and clearly did not not mean it, who still ended up in the clink, at very great personal (and tax payers') expense...so, where the assessment of intent comes into, there is useful precedent :twisted::D

The difference is McCluskey clearly meant it. I'm not sure that is reason to lock him up although he could be sectioned under The Mental Health Act if he thinks that he is going to further his cause that way.

The difference is McCluskey clearly meant it.
My point exactly ;)

I'm not sure that is reason to lock him up although he could be sectioned under The Mental Health Act if he thinks that he is going to further his cause that way.
Did McCluskey mention explosives, perchance? Not that daft, then :hihi: (...to let in anti-terrorism legislation into the mix - although I'm quietly confident that a half-decent QC, suitably pressured, could stretch the meaning of sedition-like arguments sufficiently :twisted:)

Regardless of the legal merits of the arguments, the core issue is that London 2012 should be seen, and exploited, by all as a positively huge, albeit short-lived, get-the-offer-now-white-it's-on opportunity for UK plc.

Considering the ongoing economical context of GB, and the opposition's lament that the-Gvt-is-not-doing-enough-for-business-&-employment-opportunities, for the opposition (tacitly) and their 'backers' to threaten this opportunity in this manner, so publicly as well, should be seen as a crime against human reason alone.

Or, simply, and in pure made-in-Sheffield style, to cut one's nose to spite one's face. Royally (and globally) so.

His interview is full of coulds and maybes, he seems to be just mooting the idea of civil disobedience so, if anyone's interested in what he actually said, here's the interview.

Incidentally, how many of the fuel protesters who actually undertook civil disobedience were locked up?

His interview is full of coulds and maybes, he seems to be just mooting the idea of civil disobedience so, if anyone's interested in what he actually said, here's the interview.

Incidentally, how many of the fuel protesters who actually undertook civil disobedience were locked up?

I think his interview points to a worse situation than that being widely reported as he says he wouldn't rule out illegal activities to further his aims. He also attacked both Miliband brothers. Is this really the type of person the Labour Party wants funding them?

I wonder how many of the general public are aware that currently 102 Labour MPs are Unite members?

It's an interesting question. While there is nothing wrong in union membership at all, it's interesting to see some high profile politicians with less than squeaky union related activities while in office

http://www.dearunite.com/2012/01/200-per-hour.html#more

A senior Labour MP was forced to apologise to the Commons yesterday after secretly accepting almost £60,000 in payments from the trade union Unite. A parliamentary sleaze inquiry found Jack Dromey, who is married to deputy Labour leader Harriet Harman, committed a serious breach of Commons rules by failing to declare a financial relationship with the union – Labour’s biggest donor – for more than a year.

Mr Dromey, 63, is Ed Miliband’s shadow housing minister and served for years as Labour’s treasurer, as well as holding a string of senior positions during a 32-year career in the trade union movement. But Mr Dromey was let off with a slap on the wrist after a committee of MPs ruled he was a ‘new and inexperienced MP’.

After his election in May 2010, Mr Dromey said he was resigning as Unite’s deputy general secretary and had ‘declined my salary in the meantime’. In fact, he continued to work for the union part time, charging up to £200 an hour for several months.

Mr Dromey was paid more than £28,000 in wages until he finally stopped working for the union in October 2010. The following month he was also given a £30,000 pay-off. He also had the use of a union-funded car, which he bought at a discount

on leaving. But despite strict rules on the declaration of outside income, none of these payments was made public until October the following year.

Is this how Len McCluskey wants to run things?

What are you basing your legal mastery upon? Wikipedia? Google?

More careful reading of the OP will reveal that it claims no technical basis in law, just for an opinion - should Len McCluskey be locked up for sedition?

I suspect that if he tries to disrupt the Olympics he'll be locked up for his own protection.

Len McCluskey is calling for civil disobedience during the Olympics. by

Should he be locked up for incitement? Or should we all be able to enjoy once in a lifetime UK Olympics without a well paid union official dictating to us?

Steady on Tony. Yesterday's thread on the same subject was removed for no obvious reason other than it made Unite and it's supporters look like idiots. Previous threads with factual but unflattering comments about Blunkett have also been closed for no reason. Vested interests are clearly censoring debate on SF. I am not aware of any vile rant against the Tories being closed.

So on that basis as far as I am concerned Mr McCluskey is obviously sound of mind and clearly has a good point to make. His idea is well thought through and will provide the country with many benefits. I hope he joins forces with that other nice chappy Mr Crow and puts a stop to anyone travelling on the tube during the Olympics. After all we need overseas investors to see how poor our public transport system is so that they will lend some more money to do it up a bit.

And of course Unite's members will enjoy the opportunity to sit at home and watch the entire Olympic spectacle on the telly. It will give them the opportunity to see what a wonderful investment the previous government made in this two week long sports day rather than spend the money on unnecessary frills like schools and hospitals.

I think Mr McCluskey has a bright future. Clearly we need such a talented individual at the heart of the nation so that we can all benefit from his intellect and skills. I trust Mr Cameron will see fit to reward him with a seat in the House of Lords.

Archived