Bananas. Too much sugar?

I don't think bananas actually count as one of your five a day though. Can anyone confirm/tell me im wrong?

Where have you heard that?

Going back to the OP, what is too much when you're referring to fruit sugars?

Is it the case that if you are diabetic, you should refrain from eating bananas, surely overall they are good for your health and cheap and nutritious?

Diabetics should keep their fruit portions quite low. Bananas have a higher GI the riper that they are. Berries and citrus fruits have the lowest GI. As a general rule of thumb, the more exotic the fruit, the higher the sugar content. Dentists also caution against eating too much fruit.

I'm really confused! I started eating bananas as I thought really good for me, then I heard not so good. So got on google, (I'm a boring sod you see) and checked out bananas. Well just read they contain too much sugar.

Now I'm really confused I thought sugar was man-made, not something that grows in bananas (excuse the pun)

I'm becoming something of a health freak with my food but the more I read the more I become confused.

You will not go far wrong with bananas. They are condidered an ideal food. They provide complex carbs for slow release of energy. Like anything, don`t over do it. A couple each day is fine.

Archived