Bananas. Too much sugar?

What about green jelly babies?

I don't care, I like red ones :hihi:.

There is another country (can't remember which) that actually says 9 portions a day should be eaten! (And no, not 9 portions of crisps or jelly babies).

EDIT: Found this though that says 5 is outdated and it should be eight.

Either way I like bananas and it doesn't take me 10 minutes to try and peel one like it does oranges :suspect:

I don't care, I like red ones :hihi:.

There is another country (can't remember which) that actually says 9 portions a day should be eaten! (And no, not 9 portions of crisps or jelly babies).

EDIT: Found this though that says 5 is outdated and it should be eight.

Either way I like bananas and it doesn't take me 10 minutes to try and peel one like it does oranges :suspect:

I remember it quoted on QI that the reason we have "5 a day" is that that it is believed, by those how think on such matters, that 5 is the highest attainable portion that we'd regularly eat here in the UK.

I remember it quoted on QI that the reason we have "5 a day" is that that it is believed, by those how think on such matters, that 5 is the highest attainable portion that we'd regularly eat here in the UK.

So it's not about what's best for us but what they think we'd eat? Bonkers.

There's no scientific basis behind the number, like units of alcohol it's just something the government made up.

So it's not about what's best for us but what they think we'd eat? Bonkers.

Not remotely so. If the health authorities introduced a "12 a day" campaign and people weren't willing to eat more than, say, five, then most people would just ignore the advice and continue to eat none at all.

Five is considered to be an attainable target. Setting an unattainable target would indeed be bonkers.

So there is a drink that has more sugar in it than Coke does! :hihi:

The problem with all fizzy drinks is they contain 8 tablespoons of sugar per glass.

Now imagine substituting your cola drinks for healthy mineral water. Imagine how healthy you would feel, not to mention how good it would be for your liver.

Not remotely so. If the health authorities introduced a "12 a day" campaign and people weren't willing to eat more than, say, five, then most people would just ignore the advice and continue to eat none at all.

Five is considered to be an attainable target. Setting an unattainable target would indeed be bonkers.

So can't they say aim for 5 but 8 would be more beneficial. I know many people who would be willing to eat more but because it says 5, they stop at 5.

Natural sugars. So better than sweets or chocolates. If you eat the Bananas quickly there will be less sugar as when the Banana ripens and begins to go brown thats when the enzymes get to work and increase sugar content.

Though natural you can still put on weight eating too much fruit as it raises insulin levels, which can be stored as fat. That's why a lot of diets advocate cutting out fruit all together in the 1st phase and just eating proteins or proteins and vegetables which have low GI (glygemic index).

Banana's are also a good source of potassium and natural fibre.

source: I'm a doctor.

The problem with all fizzy drinks is they contain 8 tablespoons of sugar per glass.

Now imagine substituting your cola drinks for healthy mineral water. Imagine how healthy you would feel, not to mention how good it would be for your liver.

I would say substituting it for plain water was better and cheaper as there are no advantages to drinking mineral water. You are also neglecting the fact that a lot of fizzy drinks also now come sugar free and use artificial sweeteners.

Natural sugars. So better than sweets or chocolates. If you eat the Bananas quickly there will be less sugar as when the Banana ripens and begins to go brown thats when the enzymes get to work and increase sugar content.

Though natural you can still put on weight eating too much fruit as it raises insulin levels, which can be stored as fat. That's why a lot of diets advocate cutting out fruit all together in the 1st phase and just eating proteins or proteins and vegetables which have low GI (glygemic index).

Banana's are also a good source of potassium and natural fibre.

source: I'm a doctor.

This is a good watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01cywtq/Horizon_20112012_The_Truth_About_Exercise/

At around 23 minutes in it shows how insulin levels can be reduced by intensive exercise for only 20 seconds a time, 9 times a week.

Archived