Ecclesfield Station Master's house??

I am researching my husband's family history and was interested to pick up an old thread on this site about the Station Master's house at Ecclesfield Station. In 2008 user Nigel Womersle wrote that Donald Pleasence and family had once lived in the house. This caught my eye because my husband's great grandfather, William Royle, born 1847, was the stationmaster at Ecclesfield from about 1886 to 1912. He had a number of children while he lived in the Station House, one of whom was Stanley Royle, the well-known RA artist.

If possible I'd like some clarification on the following:

a)There were 2 stations at Ecclesfield, one on the Midland line (West station) and the other the South Yorkshire Railway to the east. I think William Royle worked for South Yorkshire Railways because he gave his address on the 1901 Census as Great Central Station, Ecclesfield. So can anyone confirm this was the South Yorkshire railway station?

b)Back in 2008 Nigel Womersle said that the Station house had been demolished. Would this be the house in which William Royle lived? Also does anyone have any photos of the Station House?

c) One of William Royle's daughters, Maud, was working as an elementary school teacher in 1911. She was single at this date and still living at home in the Station House. She became my husband's grandmother, marrying in 1914.

I don't know in which school she taught. Does anyone have any family memories of a Miss Royle teaching in Ecclesfield elementary school? - or in fact, in any other elementary schools within travelling distance?

I hope this rings a bell with someone. I'd be very grateful for any information.:help:

Bit of Info about Donald below

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=did%20donald%20pleasence%20live%20in%20ecclesfield&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CD4QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pleasence.com%2Farticles%2FODD.HTML&ei=Ep1TT9X8OtTC8QOEwLDwBQ&usg=AFQjCNFRJsyZplggzgpjjgcqt7y-DQO-dw

• 6 months later...

Hi - this thread has amazed and pleasantly surprised me.

Maud & William Royle were my Grandparents.

They moved from Station House after the decline of the railway to a large house on Bellhouse Road called "Ain Garth" which is now a Working Men's Club. This is where my Father and his brothers and sisters were born and spent their childhood.

Maud was a teacher and a talented singer and pianist who came from a family of fellow artists - Stanley Royle her brother and cousin Herbert Royle. She also used to teach singing and pianoforte and also used to go round to the homes of the gentry giving concerts.

She had 5 children, two of whom still survive and are in their 80's, and 11 Grandchildren. She had lovely red hair - as did her brother Stanley - which has been passed onto the next generation !!!!

Maud's husband William relocated from the Bath area to run the station in the late 1800's and they met at Ecclesfield Church.

Archived