How to get hold of large quantities of apples cheap

Hi,

I carry out gardening and handyman jobs for people

I have a client in S10 who has several very mature apple trees in his garden and whilst I and neighbours take a few carrier bags full of apples to make apple sauce, there are stacks of apples which fall on the soil every autumn and really are wasted. I can ask him next autumn if you can take a load. They seem to be mostly eating apples but with some cookers, and having made cider in past years, if you can source crab apples as well they will make a good mix

You will quickly learn that apples grown in this country can be too acidic for fermentation to start straight away, and I found I had to add a neutralising powder - check google for brewing sites

Hi,

I carry out gardening and handyman jobs for people

I have a client in S10 who has several very mature apple trees in his garden and whilst I and neighbours take a few carrier bags full of apples to make apple sauce, there are stacks of apples which fall on the soil every autumn and really are wasted. I can ask him next autumn if you can take a load. They seem to be mostly eating apples but with some cookers, and having made cider in past years, if you can source crab apples as well they will make a good mix

You will quickly learn that apples grown in this country can be too acidic for fermentation to start straight away, and I found I had to add a neutralising powder - check google for brewing sites

A freind said to add crab apples too. Why`s that?

A freind said to add crab apples too. Why`s that?

They've got a high tannin content (like cider apples only more) so by mixing them in with eaters you can get a cider apple like end result. Getting the balance right is a bit hit and miss but when you've made a few batches you'll get a mix that suits your personal taste.

scrumping :)

Oh that brings back memories!

Hmm reminds me of my post from last year, or was it the year before last, becomes all so more panicky as you approach 50 :suspect::D:suspect:

Road side appling is pretty good, if you can find a quiet enough road so the apples don't suffer with road pollutants. I have a place, which in the space of no more than 15 minutes I (and the getaway driver/wife) had amassed 6 carrier bags full of apples as big as coconuts!

I refer, of course, to this: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=665682&highlight=scrumping

Archived