Half of adults cant do primary maths

It's difficult for kids to be leaving school...and even college with a good knowledge of, well I'll use maths, since that's what the thread was originally about when the teachers are only educated to a certain standard themselves.

In order to get in to Uni, I had to gain a KS level 2 in mathsm despite having a level 3 in advanced maths, amongst other bits and pieces. I was told to attend a class, Wednesday morning for 2 hours. The teacher assigned for the class was educated only to GCSE levels. I took in my portfolio as revision or something to work from had the oppertunity arised, and he was struggling to make sense of the calculus and integration I had done at College.

I'd always prefer for my teachers/lecturers to know more than they're teaching me. The amount of times I've seen clever students ask a question that the teacher struggled to answer is far too high lol.

The thread about 5+3*0 shows that some of the few who can't do primary level maths, are absolutely convinced that they can and won't accept correction no matter how much proof is provided.

Isn't the normal requirement for teaching a subject that the teacher have a higher level qualification? Ie to teach GCSE you have to have A level, to teach A level you'd have to have a degree?

The thread about 5+3*0 shows that some of the few who can't do primary level maths, are absolutely convinced that they can and won't accept correction no matter how much proof is provided.

Isn't the normal requirement for teaching a subject that the teacher have a higher level qualification? Ie to teach GCSE you have to have A level, to teach A level you'd have to have a degree?

How would you teach on a masters course then,a professor or similar I guess.I have taught several subjects without qualification and it showed.This is true of the more innovative subjects such as Mediocre Studies and Events Management.

Is 5+3*0 the same as 8 x 0

ie zero?

Archived