Half of adults cant do primary maths

Half of the adult population cannot do maths of primary level.

Can you do this simple problem?

A person is now paying 5% interest which rises to 7.5%.Calculate the percentage change in interest to one decimal place.

That's not primary level and the question is worded to mislead anyway.

Presumably a lot of people answer 2.5% incorrectly.

I find it difficult to believe that with 50% of the population going to university, that an equal number can't do low level basic maths.

That's not primary level and the question is worded to mislead anyway.

Presumably a lot of people answer 2.5% incorrectly.

I find it difficult to believe that with 50% of the population going to university, that an equal number can't do low level basic maths.

I am sorry to contradict you but the 50 % figure was an aspiration never achieved and many going to higher education remain innumerate-after all the GCSE grade C is easily achieved these days.

The point is that most Maths questions are ambiguous,and if you could not calculate the answer please PM me and I will explain privately to spare your blushes.

I was under the impression that it was achieved some time ago.

These are the figures for those actually getting a degree

According to this measure, there are now 30% of men and 40% of women in each year group in the UK leaving with degrees.

You're right though, it's 40% that go to university in the first place (and presumably 35% that graduate approximately). I didn't realise we'd never actually reached the target figure of 50%.

Either way, I still find it difficult to believe that 50% of the population can't do primary level maths, and I still say that the question in the OP is not primary level (maybe I'm wrong, I should probably check).

I was under the impression that it was achieved some time ago.

These are the figures for those actually getting a degree

You're right though, it's 40% that go to university in the first place (and presumably 35% that graduate approximately). I didn't realise we'd never actually reached the target figure of 50%.

Either way, I still find it difficult to believe that 50% of the population can't do primary level maths, and I still say that the question in the OP is not primary level (maybe I'm wrong, I should probably check).

My daughter has learned some fractions and percentages, and is on simple algebra now, aged 7, whilst at the same time, struggling to learn her times tables :loopy:

Archived