Half of adults cant do primary maths

You know me, I have all the answers. But, in this case the question is unanswerable because there is not enough clarity of information.

Well I have had many PMs with the correct answer so dont try your evasive tactics a la politicos.

I was under the impression that it was achieved some time ago.

These are the figures for those actually getting a degree

You're right though, it's 40% that go to university in the first place (and presumably 35% that graduate approximately). I didn't realise we'd never actually reached the target figure of 50%.

Either way, I still find it difficult to believe that 50% of the population can't do primary level maths, and I still say that the question in the OP is not primary level (maybe I'm wrong, I should probably check).

Its 50% of adults-children find it child's play and cope well.

My daughter has learned some fractions and percentages, and is on simple algebra now, aged 7, whilst at the same time, struggling to learn her times tables :loopy:

Okay, that does sound a bit messed up. I can't really remember when I first discovered %, it might have been late junior school, in which case it is primary level, but the wording of the question was deliberately complicated which I think raises it above the primary level.

Okay, that does sound a bit messed up. I can't really remember when I first discovered %, it might have been late junior school, in which case it is primary level, but the wording of the question was deliberately complicated which I think raises it above the primary level.

I thought the same, I did know the answer was 50%, but I really wasn't sure if the question was asking for 2.5% :lol:

I was under the impression that it was achieved some time ago.

These are the figures for those actually getting a degree

You're right though, it's 40% that go to university in the first place (and presumably 35% that graduate approximately). I didn't realise we'd never actually reached the target figure of 50%.

Either way, I still find it difficult to believe that 50% of the population can't do primary level maths, and I still say that the question in the OP is not primary level (maybe I'm wrong, I should probably check).

A couple of months ago I was in a cafe staffed by 3 part time staff, all around 20 years old. Two of then are certainly students on degree courses, and I think the third is also.

After a little discussion amongst themselves about some work they were doing in the kitchen at the back, they had to come out front and ask me and another customer waiting at the counter, "Is 500 millilitres the same as a litre?"

A couple of months ago I was in a cafe staffed by 3 part time staff, all around 20 years old. Two of then are certainly students on degree courses, and I think the third is also.

After a little discussion amongst themselves about some work they were doing in the kitchen at the back, they had to come out front and ask me and another customer waiting at the counter, "Is 500 millilitres the same as a litre?"

That doesn't surprise me. It's quite frightening what school leavers don't know.

Well were you able to answer them?

Archived