Half of adults cant do primary maths

A quick google would indicate that there is no online service provided to check them, and that given that there is no single national exam board and that schools are going to be unlikely to a) have records from >decade ago, b) share them with someone who is asking for them, I'd suggest that the only way to verify my GCSE results would be to ask me for the certificates.

I don't even put what A levels I did on my CV though, so why anyone would ask me about GCSEs I don't know.

Everybody's brain is different my wife can do maths in her head she can add up all the shopping as we go along and give the money at the pay till even adding the change up as well,you can get a calculator and she can add up as fast as you can press the numbers and get the results,I am terrible at maths,but I can strip any engine down and put it back together with out any manual or book on it,I don't let maths worry me I can always work it out in the end,my son was educated when Thatchers government were in last time and his general education is very poor he is a clever lad but the education standards at the time were poor lots of kids left school with very poor education standards at the time.

Well so long as you can clean your hands first you should be fine.Is your wife any good at stripping down(engines)?

You deductive skills are poor then. What you should have deduced is that I don't believe that you would be easily able to check my GCSE qualifications. That's the only inference supported by what I've said.

Now I know about your penchant for obscurity.

can't you do a course that gives you GSCE equivilant qualification? also just lie on your cv. have you ever been asked to provide your gcse certificates?

Lie on my CV? I know you're trying to help mate, but I'm far too honest to do such a thing!

Also, I've looked into doing an adult College course to get my Maths certificate, but all the courses at Hillsborough College are at night, and for personal reasons I don't really want to be going out to College at night.

Employers are able to check people in very sophisticated ways.

There are companies out there who do the checks, but I find it far easier to ask the potential candidate to show me their certificates. In fact, its standard boilerplate on a confirmation letter - "subject to credentials check".

A quick google would indicate that there is no online service provided to check them, and that given that there is no single national exam board and that schools are going to be unlikely to a) have records from >decade ago, b) share them with someone who is asking for them, I'd suggest that the only way to verify my GCSE results would be to ask me for the certificates.

I don't even put what A levels I did on my CV though, so why anyone would ask me about GCSEs I don't know.

The Civil Service insist on seeing original certificates. I got a part time admin job there after I retired and it was the first time in 40+ years of working I'd been asked to bring them to interview. As part of the selection process before the interview stage, candidates have to pass numeracy and literacy tests. Fortunately they are fairly simple tests. :cool:

Everybody's brain is different my wife can do maths in her head she can add up all the shopping as we go along and give the money at the pay till even adding the change up as well,you can get a calculator and she can add up as fast as you can press the numbers and get the results,I am terrible at maths,but I can strip any engine down and put it back together with out any manual or book on it,I don't let maths worry me I can always work it out in the end,my son was educated when Thatchers government were in last time and his general education is very poor he is a clever lad but the education standards at the time were poor lots of kids left school with very poor education standards at the time.

I was educated during thatchers reign. My mates were, some of whom have gone on great things. I'm no rocket scientist but kids now, (now there's a phrase that's shows I'm getting old) and by kids i mean some students ive met, lack basic skills in maths and English. Not all though.

50.0%

Part of the problem is the idiot that insisted on changing something that worked.

Basic building blocks of arithmetic are addition, subtraction and times tables.

Without those, trying to teach anything else is a waste of time.

Children are leaving primary school without those basic skills.

Unfortunately, (or not, depending on your point of view,) Primary Maths is a lot more complicated than that, with things like probability theory thrown in.

Teachers have to teach what's on the curriculum regardless of whether they think their time could be better spent. Anything can come up in the SATs and woe betide them if they haven't taught it, or OFSTED checks up on it.

However, I will say a lot of time is spent on arithmetic and the other things you mention, although some kids simply will not learn their tables no matter what the teacher tries.

Unfortunately, (or not, depending on your point of view,) Primary Maths is a lot more complicated than that, with things like probability theory thrown in.

Teachers have to teach what's on the curriculum regardless of whether they think their time could be better spent. Anything can come up in the SATs and woe betide them if they haven't taught it, or OFSTED checks up on it.

However, I will say a lot of time is spent on arithmetic and the other things you mention, although some kids simply will not learn their tables no matter what the teacher tries.

The Cane, or rather, the threat of it, used to work.

It always amazes me that our parents, who would never dream of hitting us, allowed our teachers to do so.

Disapproval was all that was needed in our house.

It carried far more weight than any beating.

And that is the way it has continued, over the generations.

My daughter has learned some fractions and percentages, and is on simple algebra now, aged 7, whilst at the same time, struggling to learn her times tables :loopy:

Don't worry, she will get there, algebra at 7 seems ok to me.:)

Archived