Wincobank Avenue looking towards Bracken Road

Hi there

Wonder if someone can help me with this query please?

As you come onto Wincobank Avenue from Bevercotes Road walking towards Bracken Road not so far up on the left is a gennel that leads to Heather Road. Has this always been a gennel or was it ever a road?

Am looking at some old photos and am trying to work out where they were taken and it look particularly like this area but there are cobbles on the floor and so it looks like the start of a road but I dont know?

Hi there

Wonder if someone can help me with this query please?

As you come onto Wincobank Avenue from Bevercotes Road walking towards Bracken Road not so far up on the left is a gennel that leads to Heather Road. Has this always been a gennel or was it ever a road?

Am looking at some old photos and am trying to work out where they were taken and it look particularly like this area but there are cobbles on the floor and so it looks like the start of a road but I dont know?

as I remember you came up bevercotes nt wincobank ave there was a road on the left cant remember the name might have called it lilac the next road on the left was bracken where the schoolis or was but no jennals only the openings on to the greens to the back of the houses

any help in the war time air raid shelters was built under greens

cheers

Thanks for that .... as you come to Bevercoates Road the road that runs across the top of it is Windmill Lane and if you cross over you are then on Wincobank Avenue. The gennel I am talking about is literally about 6 or 7 houses along on your left. If you continue along Wincobank Avenue pas this gennel the next road on your left is Foxglove Road. Lilac Road runs behind Heather Road which is the road that runs behind Wincobank Avenue if my memory is correct.

I have been told that there used to be greens behind some of the houses as you mentioned although not all of them are still there but have been incorportated into the gardens of the houses on Wincobank Avenue and Heather Road and there is literally just a path between the fences of the gardens.

It is quite a wide gennel which is why I am thinking it might have been a small one way road at some point?

Hi maidofhonour - I've looked in local directories from the 1920s onwards and none of them show a road where the gennel you mention is. The "Multimap" aerial photo shows the area quite well. To the right of the gennel there is a fairly large, square green area, and a smaller one to the left, with access to both from the gennel. It does look as if these green areas were once larger, and the back yards of some of the houses were extended into this, to give them more garden space..:)

The houses on Windmill Lane, Wincobank Avenue, Heather Rd & Foxglove Road

surrounded 'The Green'. Between Windmill Lane & Wincobank Ave. there was a Gennel, going further up Wincobank Ave. there was a larger opening between the houses for access, directly opposite this opening there was an identical one between the houses on Heather Rd, also as I mentioned above there was a Gennel between the houses on Windmill Lane & Heather Rd. also one between Heather Rd & Foxglove Rd. Between Wincobank Ave. & Foxglove Rd.

Imagine an oblong field with houses surrounding it. Top of Bevercoates Rd. Windmill Lane, right hand side Wincobank Ave. Left hand side Heather Rd. Top Foxglove Rd.

Hope I haven't confused you, it is easy in my mind but difficult to explain.

Cynthia. Canada.

Does anybody remember Celia Swann who lived on Heather Road. There certainly was a green at the back of her house. I can remember it well although I was under 11 at the time I knew her. We were pupils at Shiregreen school on Bracken Road. I'm also looking for Margaret Goonan, Winifred Kimpton, Brenda Marshall, Christine Openshaw. Love to hear from them - I wa Carol Stevenson.

Thanks for that .... as you come to Bevercoates Road the road that runs across the top of it is Windmill Lane and if you cross over you are then on Wincobank Avenue. The gennel I am talking about is literally about 6 or 7 houses along on your left. If you continue along Wincobank Avenue pas this gennel the next road on your left is Foxglove Road. Lilac Road runs behind Heather Road which is the road that runs behind Wincobank Avenue if my memory is correct.

I have been told that there used to be greens behind some of the houses as you mentioned although not all of them are still there but have been incorportated into the gardens of the houses on Wincobank Avenue and Heather Road and there is literally just a path between the fences of the gardens.

It is quite a wide gennel which is why I am thinking it might have been a small one way road at some point?

I used play round there in the war time I lived on bevercotes

yes you are right about lilac it was at the top of the banking from our house used to walk up every day to school exept when I was playing wag I left school in 1944 l think

the gennals was made for the council to get thiere waggons through or what thy used

ike airraid shelters was in the middle of the layed down them many a time

Hi, there AWOOLEN,thanks for posting the picture of my cousin terry(suter)on the grimesthorpe thread.I see you lived on bevercoates during the war,i believe my mother lived on there for a little while,then onto the flower estate,her maiden name was Beetenson.Did you know the Bardwells,who kept the wharncliffe hotel?.My mum&dad worked there during the war and the beetensons lived just behind on Firth park cres.The Bardwells had a son named kenneth,who later sang with either ted heath or cyril stapleton?.Also they made a movie of somekind at the hotel called "the steel city" i believe.I still have the photo of my parents,taken in the pub at that time.cheers.clydesdale.

Hi, there AWOOLEN,thanks for posting the picture of my cousin terry(suter)on the grimesthorpe thread.I see you lived on bevercoates during the war,i believe my mother lived on there for a little while,then onto the flower estate,her maiden name was Beetenson.Did you know the Bardwells,who kept the wharncliffe hotel?.My mum&dad worked there during the war and the beetensons lived just behind on Firth park cres.The Bardwells had a son named kenneth,who later sang with either ted heath or cyril stapleton?.Also they made a movie of somekind at the hotel called "the steel city" i believe.I still have the photo of my parents,taken in the pub at that time.cheers.clydesdale.

sorry can.t bring them to mind

cheers

Archived